Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Model 1 Kitfox Aileron repair / replace

Default Model 1 Kitfox Aileron repair / replace

I'm and A&P and work at an FBO in Virginia. I had a custom bring in a Kitfox Model 1 with some serious damage to both Ailerons. It appears something hit and gouged out about a 2" hunk from both ailerons about 18" inboard of the tips. It appears something happened while the wings were folded. Is there any Kitfox support for Model 1's anymore? Are replacement parts available? Plans? I have not yet spoke with the customer, just trying to scope out a path forward to repair the plane. Anybody parting out a Model 1 that might have ailerons? Thanks in advance. Gamblesb@outlook.com

Default Re: Model 1 Kitfox Aileron repair / replace

Flaperons can be hard to find, and there for probably pretty expensive. Basically, they have an aluminum inner tube, foam ribs, and thin aluminum cover. If the center tube is not bent, perhaps a patch on the holes? A picture may help. There was talk at one point that Kitfox was going to make up some flaperons, for models 1 to 3, but the rumor I heard was $1500 each. JImChuk

At least for a model 4 it is next March to get new flaperons. It really depends on what damage they have. Pictures would help.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

I have Model 2 flaperons available. I'm in upstate NY. Shipping would be expensive but I might be able to deliver the next time I drive south to see family.

Quote Originally Posted by CoClimber View Post
    I have Model 2 flaperons available. I'm in upstate NY. Shipping would be expensive but I might be able to deliver the next time I drive south to see family.
    Are Model 2 the same as model 1? What do you want for them, I'll rely to my customer. Do you know if Model 1 plans are still available? Finding some already built would be his best bet even if he has to travel to get them. It's hard to scratch build homebuilt parts at shop rate and keep a happy customer. It just takes alot of time.

The left side spar is definitely bent. I'll have some pictures up Monday night. Thanks for your help.

Flaperons should be the same for Kitfox 1-3. Avid flyer flaperons are nearly the same, but the hinge at the butt end of the flaperon is off set about 1/2" and on the outboard end, the Avid flaperon ends at the hinge, and the Kitfox extends about 2 1/2" further. 4 of the 5 hinges are in the same spot on each. JImChuk

I have an extra set of Avid A model flaperons, and one extra right flaperon for a Kitfox model 1. Probably would sell the Avid set reasonable but im in Alaska.