Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Feb. 2010 Kitfox of the Month Paul Zimmerman

Default Re: Feb. 2010 Kitfox of the Month Paul Zimmermann

Well I went out flying today. I am beginning to think, when I bought the Kitfox, John also sold me Low Ceilings & Foggy Weather along with the plane. Tonight 35 Deg with rain tomorrow H 37, L 32 rain & snow. Right now it is 36 and cloudy, visibility is pretty good, just a low ceiling. Last Saturday, the weather was beautiful, but I wasn’t up to flying after having had a skin cancer removed on Friday. I decided to pull the duct tape off of the oil cooler, that John had put on for the Idaho cold weather, I figured I wouldn't need it since our Texas weather was moving from Winter to Summer. Today, I was having a rough day at work, so I figured if I was going to fly this week, I needed to do it today. Sounded like a good excuse to take some time off. I pulled Kick Ass out of the hanger, I taxied North down a 6000 foot taxi way for take off on 17, the Oil Temp was about 89 degrees. So, I taxied south back to the hanger, then back North down the 6000 foot taxi way, then I taxied over to the tie down area, then to the fueling area, and finally the oil temp got to 110, after about 20 minutes of taxiing, it finally got to 119, as I was pulling out onto the runway, the temp hit 120. I pushed the throttle in, and off into a Low Ceiling, and as quick as this plane climbs solo that doesn’t take long. (John, you need to make a point of selling a certificate of conformance for some clear skies with the SLSAs.) They are a kick in the pants to fly, but I can never seem to get much above 1500 to 2000 feet above the ground before I am flirting with the clouds. Today I actually got to about 1800 feet, now that is HIGH FLYING! I stayed in the pattern and did 1 touch and go, then I headed southeast from the airport, and just cruised at about 1800 feet. (This Idaho weather that John drug down stinks.) I pulled it back to about 5300 RPM, and continued south. I was cruising at about a 115 MPH. As I was flying around I noticed the Oil Temp was 98 degrees. It was getting dark so I decided to turn around and head back to Mesquite, nice landing. Taxied back to the hanger, and put her away. I think I need to look into a Oil Cooler Shutter, fancy Duct Tape!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Default Re: Feb. 2010 Kitfox of the Month Paul Zimmerman

Your other choice is an oil thermostat from John or Lockwood.

John also sold me Low Ceilings & Foggy Weather along with the plane.
    Paul , you should have marked the option box on the purchase agreement next to
    "Arizona Winter Weather Package". It was well worth the extra charge.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Where was the "Arizona Winter Package", I missed that! I am positive it would have been worth the money. I figured since it is time to go from Winter to Summer, all of the Poor weather was gone. Must be Global Warming! I better hush or they will want to Tax me for good weather!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Well the weather forcast was for a little dusting of snow. I looked out the window here in McKinney Texas, and I would estimate 3 inches of build up. Global Warming in Action!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Keep that white stuff down there Paul~!!! seems what ever hits Texas ..soon comes here to Missouri

Chase

Unhappy Re: Feb. 2010 Kitfox of the Month Paul Zimmerman

This is getting out of hand 4 inches in my yard in Garland! It snowed all day long, being right at 32 all day, it didn't start sticking to the roads until latter this afternoon.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Now this is some interesting weather for Texas according to the local news DFW got 12.5 inches of this white stuff! So much for flying today! It looks like I am going to have a fun weekend trimming tree branches that fell out of the tree overnight from the snow. First count the big oak has 13 branches either broken, on the ground or on our roof.

John McBean, Steve mentioned an Arizona Clear Skies option, you should have pointed that one out! The is definately no clears skies or runways for flying out of Mesquite today!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

sounds like you either need to learn to fly in the snow or ... get the wax out and wax the plane.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Just a little snow, and John and Jud were complaining how cold it was when they were delivering N703KA! I guess the Ground Hog was correct, 6 more weeks of Global Warming before Summer hits!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas