Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Baggage Floor Material

Default Baggage Floor Material

I got with a friend of mine in the carpet business about what would work well for the Kitfox baggage floor that would be lightweight. He suggested “wall carpet”. Basically it’s the same material that they use to cut noise reflections in theaters. Super light and easy to work with.

Very happy with the results!!

Basically I installed the baggage floor panels into the frame. Backdrilled the mounts. Removed the floor panels. Laid them down on the wall carpet and marked the layout that best matched the “grain” of the carpet. Flipped the panels over and sprayed the floor panels and the wall carpet outline with contact adhesive. Once dry I realigned the panels to the prior marks and mated them up. After trimming the excess I cut the middle edge between the two panels and now the carpet acts as a hinges for the two panels and they fold up for reinstallation. Last, I used a solder iron to clean up the backdrilled mount holes.

I then installed the floor panels in the extended baggage sack and pulled the sack tight to the floor panels. Used the same solder iron to burn the predrilled holes into the baggage sack so that the the bolts can run through the baggage sack to the airframe mounts.

Last edited by Desertwndrr; 09-25-2021 at 10:33 PM.

Default Re: Baggage Floor Material

What material is under the carpet? And it looks nice.
    TJay Larsen

M1 Custom

Jabiru 2200 85hp

Quote Originally Posted by TJay View Post
    What material is under the carpet? And it looks nice.
    Factory balsa panels.

Very nice, im thinking will do the same thing, i have used that carpet in the trunks of a few cars ive restored easy to work with and cheap, can find it at Lowe’s, Home Depot in grey,black,green,red/black mixed that ive seen so far. Also at NAPA, or Orielleys also. What about the wood floorin they use, heavy i say, what r guys useing instead of the original and carbon fiber, I hate carbon fiber stuff!!!

Very Nice. I have some of that carpet in my hanger and I wanted to do some in my cabin area. I put a flame to it and it does not seem to stop burning once ignited. Does anyone use a fire retardant of some kind on this type of material? I'd like to do it but I am concerned.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV