Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotax antifreeze?

Default Rotax antifreeze?

I was hooking up the water plumbing today and when I unhooked the engine hose plugs it looks to have had green antifreeze, Ethylene Glycol, from the factory run. Is this what most run in rotax engines?

This is all I find in the operators manual:

2.2) Operating media-Coolant
    ATTENTION
    Obey the latest edition of Service Instruction SI-915 i-001, for
    the selection of the correct operating media.
    Conventional
    coolant
    Conventional coolant mixed with water has the advantage of a
    higher specific thermal capacity than water-less coolant.
    ApplicationWhen correctly applied, there is sufficient protection against va-
    por bubble formation, freezing or thickening of the coolant with-
    in the operating limits.
    Use the coolant specified in the manufacturers documentation

Ok I found more ,

) Coolant4.1) GeneralAll engine types 912 i, 915 i, 912 and 914 Series have liquid cooled cylinder heads and ram air cooled cylinders.
    The function of the coolant is to protect the cylinder heads from over-temperature by means of heat dissipation.
    Protection against corrosion of the engine components and freezing of the coolant is achieved with appropriate additives.
    In principle, 2 different types of coolant are permitted:- Conventional coolant based on ethylene glycol with 50% water content-
    Waterless coolant based on propylene glycol (not allowed for 912 i and 915 i Series)4.2)
    Conventional coolant Conventional coolant (with about 50% water content) has a specific thermal capacity that is higher than waterless coolant. It gives excellent corrosion protection, especially for aluminum, and protection against freezing. NOTE: For exact monitoring of the coolant temperature, a limit has been set. This is necessary because standard coolant based on ethylene glycol such asBASF Glysantin in a 50/50 proportion mixture can boil at a temperature aslow as 120 °C (248 °F). Refer to the current Installation Manual for more information and instructions. NOTE: Coolant should be a low silicate and nitrite free formula. Follow coolant manufacturer directions regarding mixture percentages etc..Coolants with a mixture of 50% antifreeze and 50% of distilled water recommended by the authorized distributors (not tested from BRP-Rotax).
    NOTE: The following list is based on the experiences and local recommendation by the authorized distributors. Coolant brands, with same designation, may vary from one to the other region. Please contact the local distributor for are commendation.m NOTICE WARNUNG Waterless coolant based on propylene glycol is not permitted for engine types 912 i and 915 i Series.m NOTICE WARNUNG The certification and determination of the correct coolant type must be conducted by the aircraft manufacturer. As each aircraft type has different characteristics, testing must be done to determine the most suitable coolant and instrumentation for each aircraft type.
    Brand Description BASF® Glysantin Protect Plus/G48CASTROL® Antifreeze All-Climate CASTROL® Antifreeze Anti-Boil OMV® OMV Coolant Plus PETROL® Antifreeze Concentrate / Antifreeze G 11PRESTONE® DEX-COOL extended life PRESTONE® 50/50 preluded DEX-COOL extended life SHELL® DEX-COO

So it looks like the green antifreeze, Ethylene Glycol, we have used in our farm machinery for years is ok for Rotax also.
    Let me know what you use.
    Last edited by Kitfox Pilot; 09-22-2021 at 07:17 PM.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Default Re: Rotax antifreeze?

I use the Dex-Cool Extended Life, 50-50 with distilled water.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Default Re: Rotax antifreeze?

Dexcool premix
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp