Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotax 914, a viable alternative?

Default Rotax 914, a viable alternative?

Hey guys,

Out of salt lake, we fly with a pretty high DA and I'm looking at engines with Turbos. I'm thinking I won't be able to swing a 915, so I wanted to see who all in the community has a 914? I don't see many posts with them. If anyone has a 914 and can give an opinion, I'd love to hear it. I'm also considering the prop choice and am interested in an airmaster CS to pair with it. Thanks for any info or opinions!

Default Re: Rotax 914, a viable alternative?

The folks at the factory will endorse the 914. I believe John has been flying one with an Airmaster for 15 years.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

My buddy and I flew a 914 and an Airmaster last year at stick and rudder. Liked it so much we're putting an Edge Performance 914 and Airmaster on our kit.
    I really wanted fuel injection so that's why we went with Airmaster. The 915 just wasn't worth the weight penalty without the STI wing. Building a SS7

If you're considering the 914, the Edge Performance version is something to consider. It adds fuel injection and costs the same
    as a stock 914. You can add a side- or top-mount intercooler for $700. Lead time is 3 1/2 - 4 months.

I’m looking at the Edge 914… or, adding a big bore and FI to my 912uls. If I went with the Edge I figure I’d be out 9-10k once I sell my engine… decisions, decisions…