Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: How I am building a better wing.

Default How I am building a better wing.

This video shows you how to build a Kitfox wing rib. Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmUe6juNAVg
    TJay Larsen

M1 Custom

Jabiru 2200 85hp

Default Re: How I am building a better wing.

Enjoyed the video. I am interested in how you upgraded the mixer to get differential without upgrading to a Model IV wing? I am building a Model III and would love to make the mixer upgrade without having to change to a Model IV wing. I can build a Model IV wing later if I want. Do you mind sharing what was involved with changing the controls?

Thanks,

Sure I would love to.

you need Build or buy a Mixer And mount it into the plane. Takes a bit of welding If you don't have fabric on it would be simple. Build a new flap handle and weld it in the plane. Every control push rod will need to be custom built. The tricky part is learning where to mount the mixer. With your wing it will need to be two inches farther back than the model 4 to keep the geometry correct with the flaperons . New flaperon horns mounted at different angles, Not the same as model 4 I changed them about 6 times before I found the sweet spot. It made the plane fly so good I love it. Just remember if you journey into this you will be a real test pilot. There is lots more involved but thats a good start for you to think about. 0206201724a_resized.jpgNew Control.jpg0208201252_resized.jpg
    TJay Larsen

M1 Custom

Jabiru 2200 85hp

Quote Originally Posted by TJay View Post
    This video shows you how to build a Kitfox wing rib. Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmUe6juNAVg
    How did you get an accurate jig. Yes, start with a spare rib, but what kind of router bit did you use to copy it accurately?

What bit are you using in the router to copy the jig?

In your cap-strip gluing jig, how are you keeping the Hysol from bonding to the jig? Plastic jig block?

Are you using staples in the cap strips? If so, which ones?

Thanks!

Mark Napier
    Building a KF IV Classic

All router templates takes lots of sanding Sometimes you can spend all day making one. As for bits any flush cut bit with a bearing for plywood will work Just remember you get what you pay for. And the gluing jig worked awesome every cap strip is perfectly square and every staple is dead center you do get epoxy on it but you just wipe it off after every rib. Thanks for asking.
    TJay Larsen

M1 Custom

Jabiru 2200 85hp

What are you using for staples?
    Building a KF IV Classic

Quote Originally Posted by napierm View Post
    What are you using for staples?
    20 gauge narrow crown 3/8 staple
    TJay Larsen

M1 Custom

Jabiru 2200 85hp

Quote Originally Posted by TJay View Post
    20 gauge narrow crown 3/8 staple
    I've gone down this rabbet hole several times looking for a narrow, fine-wire, stainless-steel staple suitable for aircraft woodworking. I've used the coated aircraft nails but they inevitably rust which is like a magnet for rot.

I look at the top of the kitfox rib and I see what looks like a 22 gauge, 3/16 wide staple that hasn't rusted in over 30 years.
    Building a KF IV Classic

Quote Originally Posted by napierm View Post
    I've gone down this rabbet hole several times looking for a narrow, fine-wire, stainless-steel staple suitable for aircraft woodworking. I've used the coated aircraft nails but they inevitably rust which is like a magnet for rot.

I look at the top of the kitfox rib and I see what looks like a 22 gauge, 3/16 wide staple that hasn't rusted in over 30 years.
    Du fast has everything from ss, galv, steel, but really hard to get o hold of with covid. I have used galvanized staples exterior for 20 plus years with no bad affects. you really only need ss in cedar wood applications.
    TJay Larsen

M1 Custom

Jabiru 2200 85hp