Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VG placement

Default Re: VG placement

On the stall fence in the video. I can see that it is centered in the rib and that rear is held by the flap attach bracket. How is the rest held? Is there a drawing on the STI wing plans showing a rib fence attachment?
    Building a KF IV Classic

Consider the angle of attack of the wing when it stalls. my plan is to stall my wing and note the AOA. I then will place my VG's parallel to the ground at the wings stalling AOA.
    S7 STi O-320 currently flying

Stall fence is attached with small "L" brackets at the front and back of the fence and screwed in to the rib. Its centered an a rib. Then siliconed along the entire attaching surface to prevent harmonic vibration. That being said I have and STi and haven't and probably wont put them on mine. I dont see the need as our flaperons are wing length. If we had flaps and ailerons I can see the need.
    S7 STi O-320 currently flying

Does anyone have a cut away or dimensions of the stall fence used by the “about2stall” guys? I’d like to soften my stall break some. Thanks

I installed VG’s on my KF1 wing #0038 here a month ago, had 7hrs TT, now has 9.3hrs TT, not much time yet of course, but HUGE difference in stability at landing speeds, did mine 1.5” back from the wingtip leading edge, and spaced 3.25” apart and 15 degrees to windflow, Also installed them on the bottom of the stabilizer about 1” forward of the hinge and at same spacing as wing. GOOD CHOICE, but i got my info on placement from Leni and Randy on AvidFoxFlyers. I have pic there also.
    I also removed the droop wingtips, made wingtip fences and mid wing fences, but when i built my wings i installed another wing rib for mounting the fence to next to one that was in place, and installed a backer on wingtip rib so fence was easy removal.
    Id post a pic here but i stopped doing them here cause it a PITA to do it here. 👍
    Last edited by buckchop; 12-03-2021 at 09:09 AM.

Just this year I have been working on my TW endorsement and it amazes me how different it is to fly a taildragger. One of
    the things I have learned is that you want your 3-point landing attitude to be right at stall. I also learned that putting
    bigger tires can be a detriment because your landing attitude might end up being beyond the critical angle of attack.
    The author of the About2Stall video mentions that your first landing might be tough after installing the vortex generators
    because your stall speed is much lower.

It seems to me that, depending on the 3-point attitude of your specific plane, VGs might be a detriment. A lower stall speed "seems"
    like it's better but you definitely have to have the right config of landing gear and wheels to make everything work together
    in unison.

Victor
    Building SS7
    915iS
    Garmin G3x

Victor I have a couple comments for you. VG's are awesome! Put them on and fly with them and try and see! I put 40 hours on my plane before I installed them so I was comfortable and knew how the plane felt prior. Yes, the first few hours you have to get used to them to take full advantage of them. I don't think VG's are a detriment in any way. Maybe a little harder to clean the bugs, but its worth the reduced stall speed. If you don't want to approach slower then just fly your same speeds and you have increased your safety margin. I have 29" and love them and in fact wish I could get more AOA before stalling sometimes. (mostly for takeoffs) I want 31" next set. Off airport I prefer a wheel landings. Well, more of a modified 3 point to wheel landing. You want to keep your tail off the ground as much as possible. Don't want to hit a rock with your tail! The STI wing really needs VG's to take full advantage of the wing IMO. I reduced stall speed almost 10mph and that is huge for landing distance. If your landing slow in tight spots, I recommenced stalling your plane often. (At altitude of course!) Try descending turning stalls, straight ahead stalls, accelerated stalls, all different types to be comfortable on how it stalls and what it feels like right before. With VG's in certain situations the wing will stall harder and more abrupt when it finally lets go. Two things I would not fly my plane without now having is them is Vg's and AOA. The audible AOA is the best invention ever. Landing off airport the last thing I am looking at is my panel. Turning base is about the last time I look at my airpseed. The rest I am feeling the plane and confirming what I am feeling with the AOA beeping at me. If you have never flown a kitfox with audible AOA go and try a buddies and see how useful that tool is.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!