Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: AHRS MGL sensor mounting location

Default AHRS MGL sensor mounting location

Anyone use an MGL EFIS (or any brand) that has had to mount the AHRS? Looking for ideas where to mount. I am putting the Magnometer in the wingtip, but I am having a hard time finding a suitable location for the AHRS box. It's the SP-4 so it's small. Instructions say to keep away from vibrations, Temperature variations, and as close to center of rotation as possible. That kind of rules out behind the panel so I was thinking under the seat?

I did a search but didn't really come up with any decent locations.
    Last edited by Jerrytex; 09-02-2021 at 01:46 PM.

Default Re: AHRS MGL sensor mounting location

My MGL EFIS displays have the AHRS built in so I'm not much help there. I would consider the under side of the baggage floor if I did have to do it.

I'm curious what your magnetometer installation will be like. I'm about to declare victory with mine:
    PXL_20210829_234240345.jpg
    PXL_20210829_234247142.jpg
    The 6-32 nylon screws are just locating studs to keep it in position. I'll retain it in place with something like 3M Dual-lock or even just a zip tie. Access through the end of the wing will be pretty easy.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Default Re: AHRS MGL sensor mounting location

Thanks Alex, I had the same thought about the baggage area/floor. Everything I read said that vibrations and temp variations would screw up the readings so behind the panel with the heater core and being so close to the engine was a deal breaker for putting it there. I ended up building a small shelf at the front of the baggage area. I think it will work good since it's with in an inch of the center of rotation.

I am going to do something like what you did by putting the magnometer in the wingtip. Probably just used plywood, but I must say, the carbon fiber looks awesome.

IMG_4619.jpg