Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Noise free USB

Default Noise free USB

On my Sonerai I use a Sporty's PJ2 handheld for my only com radio. Works great on battery, but this unit uses a USB-C charge cord for ship power. My old radio used a cigarette lighter cord to supply 12V directly to the radio. I simply stuck one of my cigarette lighter USB chargers into the cigarette lighter socket and it charges the PJ2 fine but I get a lot of noise through the radio. Like I said the unit does fine on it internal battery, it is just the USB cigarette lighter charger that is making the noise. I have a few and tried them all and all seem to make noise. Does anyone know of a cheapish brand that is good in not making a bunch of noise? For this airplane I'll be redoing the panel once the Kitfox is flying, so I don't want to be doing a bunch of rewiring just yet, or spending of a bunch of money for the likes of a Garmin USB. hopefully someone ha found a less expensive brand that can manage what I need. Not looking for a $2 item, but not really wanting to spend hundreds right now either.

Thanks,

John Brannen
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Default Re: Noise free USB

I installed this with zero noise on my radio.
    https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...s%2C218&sr=8-3
    Last edited by desertdave; 09-01-2021 at 02:15 PM.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

John,

I've got a dual one from Blue Sea Systems also that is noise-free, but I also have a plug-in one for my 12v "cigarette lighter" socket that is noise free. I can't tell what brand it is or where I got it. It seems to be a common problem, especially, apparently, with cheap Chinese-made units (you might be hard-pressed to find one that isn't made in China). I've experienced the noise too, and I finally found the one that I had laying around that works well.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I have no personal experience with them, but someone on the AeroElectric List forum reported good luck with a SCOSCHE branded USB charger. That was a couple of years ago so I don’t know about current USB-C models, but they’re not a huge investment. Looks like $25-30 on Amazon.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Thanks guys. I'm going to order both a SCOSCHE cigarette lighter charger and one of the blue sea systems units based on these recommendations. Hopefully the SCOSCHE works as it will require absolutely no wiring. If it does, I'll keep the Blue Sea for when i redo the panel later on. I'm also going to put my antenna on the bottom fuselage aluminum panel that is about 24" x 36" to get the antenna further away and maybe the big aluminum ground plane will provide some shielding. Thanks for the replies.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)