Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Trim Assist Install

Default Trim Assist Install

Hello Kitfox folks, I bought the trim assist kit a few years ago, it came with instructions and now I am finally getting around to installing it. But I have an older Kitfox 5 that doesn't have the holes in the mixer, does anyone have the dimension from the main tube down to the hole location, its not shown on the instructions?

Thanks, I appreciate all the help.

BTW, I have already asked Kitfox a few times but haven't heard anything from them, I guess they are really busy these days.

Thanks!

Default Re: Trim Assist Install

I have found If you send Brandon an email he will answer right away. If you need me to measure my 7 call me and we can do a FaceTime. I just put mine in and I am not covered so it will be easy to see. Jay 208-841-7726. QUOTE=scottr;101245]Hello Kitfox folks, I bought the trim assist kit a few years ago, it came with instructions and now I am finally getting around to installing it. But I have an older Kitfox 5 that doesn't have the holes in the mixer, does anyone have the dimension from the main tube down to the hole location, its not shown on the instructions?

Thanks, I appreciate all the help.

BTW, I have already asked Kitfox a few times but haven't heard anything from them, I guess they are really busy these days.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Hey Scott, sorry for the late reply; I've been away from home more than not lately.

On my Series 5, the mixer arm has four drilled holes (about 1/8" diameter). Measuring from the main mixer tube, they're located at 1/2", 1-3/8", 2-1/8" and 3" from the tube.

The instructions that came with my Trim Assist Kit showed the spring attach bolt passing through the second hole from the tube, so that's where I put mine. I just enlarged the hole to pass the AN3 bolt, greased everything real well and didn't bother with the bearing (as directed by the instructions). Remember not to snug the nut up so tight that the bolt can't rotate.

I haven't flown yet, so I can't say whether this hole location is optimum.

TrimAssistInstPic.jpg

TrimAssistHolePic.jpg
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Thanks guys, I did get a reply from Kitfox, they seem to be busy these days which is good. I have what I need now so I can install it. Thanks again!

Well, now I'm curious. Did the guidance from Kitfox track anywhere close to what I did?
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

Hi Eric, they gave me 1.25 for the distance, but I went with 1.38 to give me clearance with the drill to get a straight shot thru it.

Thanks!

Close enough for government work. Thanks for the follow-up.
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

My trip to Airventure 2021 was worth it totally because of the discovery of the Trim Assist Kit for my Model 5 Vixen. It was easy to install with all the Kitfox parts there. I have a few hours flying with the new spring & view it as a big improvement for practical pitch control. I have the electric jackscrew on the horizontal and previously I always ran out of up trim pitch control at engine idle on landing. Now I can trim for approach speeds quicker, without the constant stick back pressure, less screw movement, and more refinement. I’m still getting used to it but I’m not looking back. Thanks to Desertfox4 & Kitfox. Skot in Madison, Wisconsin
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

Skot, glad it made your flying more enjoyable. That upgrade is pretty simple with good return on investment. Fly safe.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear