Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Tool Loan: wing drill jigs

Default Tool Loan: wing drill jigs

If you're like me and you have slow build wings, or did not opt for the factory pre-rig of your wings then you probably know that one of the more daunting tasks of building a Kitfox is setting up your wing sweep, dihedral and washout.
    PXL_20210828_224723506.jpg
    I created a set of tooling which made the job go very smoothly. I used them and have since shipped them to another builder who put them to work. Well of course you only need them once per airplane so I don't need them anymore. But rather than sell them I have decided to loan them to anyone who wants to use them.

What the builder will get is a pair of 3D printed index blocks which you zip tie 120" out each wing so you can set your wing sweep, the two V-block fixtures which you clamp to your forward spar carry through tube, two different slip-fixed renewable drill bushings (one for setup and one for drilling), a drill blank for the setup step, a 19/64" drill for the drilling operation, and a 5/16" short flute drill for up-sizing the rear spar hole once you have the front drilled.

You will need to supply your own clamps to hold the fixtures to your spar carry through tubes, your own 5/16" reamer, and some thin string for the 3D printed blocks.

This all fits in a USPS flat rate box so the cost for any builder in the 48 states will be about $16 each way. I'm willing to ship other places if needed, but be warned that Canada, Australia and New Zealand are super expensive destinations.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Default Re: Tool Loan: wing drill jigs

This is awesome! Can you please put me in line? My quick build (not pre rigged) wings are arriving next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

Sure thing. Send me your address through the message service here.
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Done.. thanks!
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

You're a good man Alex, a credit to this forum group. Bruce N199CL

Alex. Thanks for your kindness, the tools worked perfectly and made the wing rigging very easy. I’m finished and ready to ship to the next person that is close to the wing rigging stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

Thanks Ben. That's three builders now with happy results.

If anyone out there is doing slow build wings or did not get the factory pre-rig option this set of tools allows you to drill the holes in your spars with a very high degree of confidence that your wings will be rigged exactly the way the manual calls for.

Available to loan out to anyone who needs them, free except the postage. For Ben I sent an email with instructions. For the next user I will print a set of instructions with photos.
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII