Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Winch remote control

Default Winch remote control

I found and installed a wireless remote control for my hanger winch that may be of interest to others on the forum. It is capable up to 40 Amps and programable to operate as either a latched, momentary or time delay control. Its range is enough to get me pulled into the hanger. $18 on Amazon (not including the interconnect wiring). Now I can pull my tricycle geared Kitfox into my hanger and steer it with my tow bar all while pushing the remote button. I've programmed it on the momentary setting so it will only activate the winch as long as I'm pressing the button. My ground is slightly up hill into my hanger so I need a winch and this set up works well to control the catering nose wheel while pulling the airplane into the hanger backwards.

IMG_8414.jpg

The remote control box is attached to a plastic outlet box that I have a receptacle installed in that is a compatible interface with the winch input power cord. The small control fob is a two button battery operated unit and the kit comes with 2 of them.
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Default Re: Winch remote control

I’d like to se the whole set up, perhaps a video of pulling your plane would be nice?

Sorry but I'm not equipped to do videos. But I can show and tell what I replaced with my remote control (see photo below of the old stuff I replaced vs the new): Note - the same old winch works with either control set up but the new remote doesn't have any big long wires to the clunky old switch box.

IMG_8415.jpgIMG_8414.jpg
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Larry,

That is a fantastic solution! I can think of a lot of other applications for that little box and fob also. The programmable feature is something I was not aware of and that certainly increases the versatility of the device.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN