Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Second Com Antenna

Default Second Com Antenna

Hi Everyone - great to see a bunch of you at the Oshkosh barbecue

I want to mount a second com antenna of the belly of my 7SS which is still precover. I plan to use this is a back up antenna for a handheld com radio if my main com fails. I plan to use a bent antenna to allow plenty of clearance in the bush.

I have looked through the forum and have not found any posts on this subject - perhaps I just missed them. Has anyone done this? I spoke with J McB this morning and he told me that there is an autopilot servo mounting plate available, but I intend to use that option for my autopilot.

Thought that I would query the group to see if anyone has done it or has any suggestions

Thanks

Fred

KF 7SS - Building
    Rotax 915

Default Re: Second Com Antenna

For a backup you don't really even need an external antenna. I used a handheld with headset adapter and the rubber ducky antenna that came with the radio for many years without problems on my Sonerai. Recently had something happen to my external antenna and am now back to the rubber ducky. Works fine and on that airplane it is my primary and only radio.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

I have seen guys install coax patch ports on the panel so you can easily patch in your handheld to the main comm antenna. Seems easier and simpler than a second antenna.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I have rigged two airplanes with a connector in the coax that would allow me to disconnect the com and plug the antenna into my handheld, even while flying. Works great. Far better than trying to use the rubber duck on the handset.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    I have rigged two airplanes with a connector in the coax that would allow me to disconnect the com and plug the antenna into my handheld, even while flying. Works great. Far better than trying to use the rubber duck on the handset.
    Just don't key the TX with the antenna disconnected. The BNC connector went open circuit on my 601HDS (I wasn't the builder) and it blew a soldered in fuse in the radio. The COM radio TX doesn't like all the power to be reflected back in.
    Building a KF IV Classic

Although this doesn't address your specific question, you mentioned going with a bent antenna to give yourself plenty of clearance while landing in the bush. If your plane isn't covered yet you might consider an internal antenna that isn't hanging out in the breeze at all for the ultimate in ground clearance. I installed a folded dipole in my tail that has worked great. Bought it at Aircraft Spruce for $118. There has been a few other internal antenna options discussion in past forum history.

IMG_6571.jpg
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS