Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: throttle and choke return springs

Default Re: throttle and choke return springs

I also have the McFarlane cables for throttle and enrichener. They are expensive but worth every penny.

I also post this often in the cable threads, but this is the best method of "cutting" these cables to keep them from fraying.

Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    I also have the McFarlane cables for throttle and enrichener. They are expensive but worth every penny.

I also post this often in the cable threads, but this is the best method of "cutting" these cables to keep them from fraying.
    Cool trick!!!! Thanks!
    Last edited by 3kdscf; 12-05-2021 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Eddie, thanks for your last post.👍
    I purchased my cable also from Kitfox Aircraft.
    They have them listed on page 23 of their parts manual.
    Thanks! I didn't realize that Kitfox sold these. I did look at the catalog but the only vernier throttle mentioned was for the 912is (Kitfox Part # 99004.000). I would much rather give my business to John ... and get one already pre-cut to the right length

I am really curious about all the talk about vernier throttle cables. I have never personally ever found the need or want to adjust my engine speed to the very fine degree possible with a vernier type throttle. The standard friction screw knob gives me more than enough adjustability. Just for my own education, I would like to hear what phases of flight you guys feel the vernier is an advantage? This is an honest question; I am not trying to trash the use of a vernier because obviously a lot of folks seem to prefer it. Maybe I could improve my flying with a little education, especially from those who have tried both on the same airplane and prefer the vernier.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I have flown both. 90% of the time I am twisting the throttle. Vernier is the best way to go. Only time I am pushing and pulling the throttle is takeoff and landing. Vernier is much more accurate at adjusting rpms and manifold pressure. John, on a NA engine its not as big of deal because throttle is not as sensitive. With a turbo, I wouldn't run anything different, especially with a fixed pitch prop. You would be all over the place. The mcfarlane is nice because you can push and pull the throttle quickly, without pushing a button, and then you can twist it to give it an accurate adjustments. Turbulence they are nice. Updraft I give it twist out, down draft 2 twist in. Once its smooth a twist back and its right at 5200rpms I also like them for starting up. Pull throttle out then two twist in and she starts up 2000rpm every-time.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I am really curious about all the talk about vernier throttle cables. I have never personally ever found the need or want to adjust my engine speed to the very fine degree possible with a vernier type throttle. The standard friction screw knob gives me more than enough adjustability. Just for my own education, I would like to hear what phases of flight you guys feel the vernier is an advantage? This is an honest question; I am not trying to trash the use of a vernier because obviously a lot of folks seem to prefer it. Maybe I could improve my flying with a little education, especially from those who have tried both on the same airplane and prefer the vernier.
    I have the 912ULS in a Kitfox 6 with a series 7 firewall forward. The reason I am making the switch is that the factory provided throttle cable, even when clamped down as tight as I can turn it, slowly creeps up in RPM. It does this at cruise RPM but way more annoyingly at idle. Trying to do a pre takeoff checklist when you have to keep taming the engine to keep it from roaring can be pretty distracting. What I am really describing here probably has nothing at all to do with the throttle and everything to do with the really strong springs. I probably could have solved the problem with just springs but I decided that while I was at it, I would replace the throttle as well because I like the vernier idea. The big use for the vernier for me personally would be for cruise RPM. It often takes me several tries to get the RPM I want at cruise whereas with a vernier, it would just be a quick twist.

I have the veneer style throttle on my Kitfox 4 with 912. I really like it, I did install weaker springs as well. Usually I will grab the throttle ball with my first and second fingers, and when they pull, the button is pushed in when it pushes against your palm near the bottom of the fingers. It is very nice for larger throttle changes. For a small change in throttle setting, the twisting of the ball works very nice. I do have another friction lock throttle, but even though I'm a bit on the frugal side, I'll buy the veneer throttle for the next project. I would say though that weaker springs will go a long way to making what you have tolerable. Here is a short video of my first flight I did in the plane, and you can see how I held the throttle. Of course in cruise, I'm not usually holding the throttle, this was just up and around and down, and I don't use the twisting motion much. Please excuse the cheap chinese gopro camera copy. Sound out of sync, and picture quality not near as good as the real deal. JImChuk
    Kitfox 4 first flights after rebuild panel view - YouTube