Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: throttle and choke return springs

Default Re: throttle and choke return springs

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    I need one of these, what part no. did you use and where did you get it?

Hi Steve,

They’re made by McFarlane. You can buy the dual cable for the Rotax and then the T- handle for it.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

great thanks, went to there site and found what I needed. thanks
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I also removed the springs as I think they are a safety issue. Last thing I want is throttle going WOT especially at cruise having an engine runway past red line ending up in a pieces. I also installed the vernier throttle. They are my favorite. I use the twist feature all the time to adjust power and it is very accurate. Pricey, but quality built.
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 08-26-2021 at 07:05 AM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Another vote for taking them off.

I Took them off my KF 4 and used the standard friction throttle. Worked/works fine. I plan on taking them off on my new build as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    I also removed the springs as I think they are a safety issue. Last thing I want is throttle going WOT especially at cruise having an engine runway past red line ending up in a pieces. I also installed the vernier throttle. They are my favorite. I use the twist feature all the time to adjust power and it is very accurate. Pricey, but quality built.

First ,time for a TeamKitfox Forum appreciation moment. In the pre-internet days, getting information like that found on this thread was difficult and time consuming. Who knows how many lives easy access to this kind of information has saved. Enough gushing.

My Series 6 is a year old with 170 hours on it. I have the stock 912ULS throttle springs and agree, its really dangerous. Even with my hand on the throttle every second during base and final, it sometimes slips in my sweaty hand and goes to full throttle. Even when the throttle is locked tight at 2000rpm on the ground, it slowly creeps up in RPM.

I will look into the weaker 6822 springs used by the Vans RV-12 as well as the Vernier-Assist throttle. I know the strong springs insure the throttles stay synced but for me, the risk of a full power surprise at an inopportune time is more dangerous.

My plan is as follows:
    1) try the vernier assist throttle with the stock strong springs, if that doesnt work ...
    2) replace stock throttle springs with the weaker 6822 springs, if that doesnt work ...
    3) take the springs off entirely and make sure cables are solidly supported entire length to minimize sync problems

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by 3kdscf; 12-02-2021 at 12:24 PM.

I believe McFarlane’s Rotax vernier throttle set up comes with the less aggressive springs. If not, order them at time of throttle purchase and install them right away. You won’t enjoy the stronger springs. Model 6’s take a different length cable compared to a model 7.
    I love my McFarlane vernier throttle system. Just be mindful not to loosen the friction wheel too much and pull the cable insides out.
    Little parts fall out. Luckily McFarlane has a video how to reinstall the little bits if you don’t lose any bits down your center console’s flap handle cut out.😢

https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/pr...otax-controls/

Vernier version:
    https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/pr...otax-controls/

Chose knob style, cables do not usually include a knob.
    https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/pr.../product/6620/

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    I believe McFarlane’s Rotax vernier throttle set up comes with the less aggressive springs. If not, order them at time of throttle purchase and install them right away. You won’t enjoy the stronger springs. Model 6’s take a different length cable compared to a model 7.
    I love my McFarlane vernier throttle system. Just be mindful not to loosen the friction wheel too much and pull the cable insides out.
    Little parts fall out. Luckily McFarlane has a video how to reinstall the little bits if you don’t lose any bits down your center console’s flap handle cut out.😢
    Thank you! You saved me from buying a duplicate set of springs I see now that it says that the throttle comes with the 6408 hardware kit which includes the springs.

Does anyone happen to know the ideal throttle cable length for the series 7? I have a series 6 but its a 7 firewall forward. I measured my existing throttle as well as I could while it was still installed and it appears to be 42". I did note that the product literature says "easy to trim to length" so I could just order the 6' one and then trim it to the same length as my existing throttle but if the 48" would work unmodified, I would rather let the factory de-burr the end of the coiled spring housings

My SS7 Vernier throttle is stock as it arrived from Kitfox. It's just a matter of routing it. Mine worked out without any modification.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Eddie, thanks for your last post.👍
    I purchased my cable also from Kitfox Aircraft.
    They have them listed on page 23 of their parts manual.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I also have the Macfarlane vernier throttle on my 4 and find it perfect with the weaker springs.
    Anyone heard of the in cockpit throttle balancing gizmo? Sound a great idea