Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trailering Tail-First Problem

Default Re: Trailering Tail-First Problem

Quote Originally Posted by ken nougaret View Post
    Correct on the tail support. These springs were just trick to help support my tail. Attach BEFORE folding the wings.
    Ken- I looked at your trailer that day in Zephyrhills. Mine is complete, and I use it for trips to KIMM routinely. However, I have been wanting to put more of a "soft" attachment point for the tail hold-down. Do the springs you show in the photo here work in extension or compression (or both)? I've been looking everywhere for something just like this with no luck so far...
    Scot Trueblood
    Bonita Springs, FL

Kitfox IV in Phase 1 Flight Testing

Hi Scot. I found these springs on eBay. I think they were for a Honda 50 minibike. With the wings open the springs are extended like they would be on a minibike before you sit on it. That's when you pin it in place. When you fold the wings they compress probably 1/2". It's worked perfectly for 5 yrs.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

I hangar my Kitfox IV-1200 at home in a detached garage. I trailer it to and from the airport, about 3 miles away in 5 minutes.

I support my elevator with two "clamps made from a top aluminum 3/4" square tubing, and a bottom 7/8" aluminum channel, both 32" long. The fasteners are 3" long 10/32 machine screws; one side has a wing nut, and the other a nylon nut. The pieces are covered in 3/4" pipe foam insulation.20211127_114237.jpg
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL