Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MGL Odessey EFIS

Default MGL Odessey EFIS

In my continued search for the least expensive Panel for my project, I have run across a MGL Odyssey with the G2 update for what I think is a good price.

Just curious to know if anyone has any experience with this EFIS? Seems like it was a pretty loaded EFIS back in the day. I am not really happy about putting 11 year old avionics in a new plane, but my checking account sure is.

Comes with the AHRS, compass, engine RDAC, encoder, etc.

Thanks.

Default Re: MGL Odessey EFIS

They have one listed on vans air force for a good price. I installed the smaller version (voyager G2) and I like it. I haven’t flown yet but I’ve played with it on the ground a lot and it has some pretty cool features. My wallet thanked me as well. Plus I figure I can upgrade the panel later as I’m always looking for something to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

Yeah the one on the van's forum is the one I was looking at. He's close to me so no ridiculous shipping cost. It has been upgraded and the seller has all the ppwk. I went ahead and committed to buying it. The only thing I can't find is a trim setting. I am thinking it doesn't have it since I don't see any wiring for it.

I know that you can add custom trim indicators on the screens but I don’t think you can use the efis to control the trim. If that’s what you were referring to...
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

I don't think the Odyssey can control trim but it should be able to show trim position. The later iEFIS units allow control of flaps and trim with an extra module (SP10).

I've incorporated stab trim on my MGL MX1 display but will not be adding the SP10 to control it. We don't have roll trim and I don't see the need for flap indication since the flap handle is right there at hand.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

How did you incorporate the trim indicator? I can edit the screen for a trim indicator but I’m not sure how to send the signal to the efis.

Thanks
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

Yeah, I was just wanting to have it indicate on the screen. Just can't seem to figure out how to do so.

I have the ray allen POS-4 (I think) all ready installed on the H-stab and I would rather have the trim position on the screen rather than adding a seperate LED gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Benbell4140 View Post
    How did you incorporate the trim indicator? I can edit the screen for a trim indicator but I’m not sure how to send the signal to the efis.

Thanks

Hopefully this screen shot will help. Yes, when you create an indication you still have to tie it to a source. I'm assuming that the Odyssey EFIS still has some kind of "simulator" software, so head in there. The following screen shot is from my MX1 but I imagine it follows a familiar format
    MGL pitch trim.jpg
    My pitch indicator is in the upper right corner of my display and in this image it shows slightly nose down trim (the white line is neutral trim).

Pitch trim arrives as an analog signal via RS232 on channel 3. You can see the slider just a bit off the bottom peg in the image above. It's the only non-zero slider, 3rd from the left in the top row. It also shows up in the horizontal bars to the right. In this image it is getting 0.3V->90, whatever 90 means it can be adjusted with a multiplier and offset to accurately reflect your situation.

Somewhere in the manuals it describes how to set the endpoints and neutral point to match our stab trim.

My plan is to buy the TCW Safety Trim controller (HD version because our jack screws take some amps). This will allow me to trim from the hat switches on the sticks and/or the trim switch in the conventional kitfox location on the center console.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Thanks for the info Alex. I’ll have to try it out on the voyager.

Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

For conclusion, I discovered that the older MGL EFIS units require an I/O extender in order to display trim settings. Of course I/O extenders are no longer available from MGL and a search discovered that there are not any used ones other than one on Ebay but it's in Israel. FYI.