Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chandler to Salome and Sedona

Default Chandler to Salome and Sedona

Spent a few days out at my brother’s airpark in Salome, AZ this week. Had one day and night of high winds and rain but rest of time was of Kitfox perfect weather.

446DC29C-B82E-4890-AD39-F716056DD612.jpg
    Got some airtime with DesertFox1 on Sunday. Stopped out to one of our old stomping grounds southwest of Chandler.
    Hadn’t put wheels down here for several years. Did a flyby and got invited to stop in by the new owner. Originally called Big Tanks when our friends built it and lived here, however it now is called MoTown. Still feels wonderful to walk this ground again. We miss our friends Dale and Angie. This is sometimes where locals and the Flying Cowboys come for winter antics in February. Thanks Mo for the open invite to return anytime. I’ll abide by the rules for use of course. The mandatory low pass before landing.

(Below)MoTown official greeter. Thanks to thousands of L.E.D. lights, this fellow must look bright after sundown.
    E85B408B-0C9A-4E4B-BCD5-8BA5C25FFB52.jpg

Had a couple very nice aviating days out near Salome. My brother and myself put in some great hours picking out new landing spots in the desert. Land, shutdown and take in the remoteness and solitude for a bit, at least until two low level F-16s go ripping by at 450 knots, on the deck. No time to even pull the phone of my pocket to get a pic before they crest the ridge top to the south and disappear into military restricted airspace. Quite the fly by.
    BC273ABD-A44D-4B56-8B66-5D6905227E6C.jpg
    One such spot.

Did a couple breakfast flights too. First one netted 15 aircraft from the airpark to Wayside Campground and Airport out by Alamo Lake. Last night was “movie night” hosted by one of the airpark residents in his hangar. I estimated 30 plus folks attended with fresh popcorn popped on site, various snacks were brought and shared and whatever favorite beverage each guest brought with.

Earlier in the day the ladies from the airpark put on a cookie exchange in the pilot/community building. Each baker brought 4 dozen of their favorite Christmas cookie and all involved would end up with a very large plate of assorted festive confections. Calories removed to retain useful load for all the pilots benefit of course. NOT! I helped my sister-in-law produce her ( really my brother’s favorite) cookies. Ritz crackers with peanut butter between the crackers dipped in melted sweet chocolate. I really wasn’t too much help with the exception of consuming the few that didn’t quite meet cookie exchange quality standards.
    0F5450AF-02BA-4F20-91A2-721CF7CBCAEB.jpg

EA222F4F-785D-42E3-A927-15A4B9DF0C46.jpg
    Overflying Cottonwood at 10,250’ on way to Sedona after leaving Salome this morning. I can see my house, kinda. Smooth as glass flight from Salome to Sedona with tailwinds pushing me to 151 mph ground speeds past Prescott. No hangars available at Cottonwood so bought a hangar and fixed it up in Sedona and will soon be the new permanent home for my Kitfox. Saves an hour and 15 minute drive, one way, to get to my Kitfox. Now only 17 miles away instead of 84 miles driving to Deer valley Airport in Phoenix. Almost 23 years and all three of my Kitfox’ have been based out of Deer Valley. Will miss my friends there but should get more hours flying in now. Friends are cordially invited to visit me in Sedona. The scenery up here is second to none.

86159323-E397-41CD-8D9A-D665B49543AD.jpg
    Overtop of Sedona Airport approaching downwind for uphill runway 030. Looking North.

4A473030-3638-4139-A14F-6254A91EB04C.jpg
    Approach end of runway 030.

74B43513-6E49-43AB-BCC8-14C36E311F45.jpg
    Kitfox getting acquainted with it’s new home.
    Attached Images Attached Images

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Default Re: Chandler to Salome and Sedona

Great shots Steve. Desertfox 1 still rocking wings! That's awesome.
    It would appear the owner of that strip might be a Powered Parasail type. All that thing needs is some cord and a sail and it could leave the ground maybe. I keep waiting for a stretch of days that I can come out and get the tour of your landing spots. Someday.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Looks nice at the new hangar Steve, I am looking forward to visiting you in 2022.

Eddie, come on over. Would be fun to see Midlife Crisis off my wing again. Got some fun places to show you.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Jim, I hope you can visit in the new year. Sounds great.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Steve do you have a pic of the hanger door or doors? May be the normal there but I can't get a pic in my mind how they work.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

5FB25963-739A-4344-86B3-EC3F66342127.jpg
    Harlan, the two doors on the ends slide on a track and fold open allowing wing clearance and the large center door swings up with spring assist and latches open for the fuselage. Cute little hangar with no electrical motors involved. Never locked in or out due to a power failure. I’ve seen these type hangars before at various airports around the Southwest and wondered where they came from and how they functioned. Now I know. Port-a-Port is the brand name and made in Texas. They are trailered down the hi-way from the factory to their airport home. Mine still has reflectors and part of the trailer hitch assembly attached. Some of my neighbor’s hangars still have the trailer tongue in place. You can see where the axels were mounted for hi-way travel on the large center section. It appears that the two wing ports were assembled on sight and not trailered into the assembly location. There are several Bonanza’s in my neighboring hangars so they will take a decent sized aircraft although I imagine that leaves much less area for a work bench and tools. My Kitfox leaves a nice amount of shop area.
    66FEDBB5-82EA-491A-B502-F29248187725.jpg
    Previous owner’s Tri-Pacer.
    357E0BBD-3979-4E84-AB07-24D573429134.jpg
    All doors closed. The two sliding doors angle out at the large center door.

760CAA05-93F3-4695-8187-C5A0416EC256.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Well that's pretty neat. I have never seen that type door before. Thanks Steve I'm still studying them.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

That is a very interesting hangar, I have never seen any like this in the north east.

A couple photos from my 1.5 hour local flight around Sedona.
    Finished the move to my Kitfox’ new home. I have too much “stuff”.
    22 years of flying out of Phoenix Deer Valley airport comes to an end.
    I think I’m going to like it here. Beautiful scenery.

350E83D0-5BFE-42CC-943A-6FE5C20F449A.jpg
    Snow on Mt. Humphries in the distance.

CCA51596-306E-437B-91ED-ECF1136960E4.jpg

555B60F4-37B9-4693-8E86-BA94B15673E6.jpg

B1321167-E1EF-47EB-9600-9522865DA6AA.jpg
    Tucked back in the new hangar with flannel pajamas to keep her warm
    at night.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear