Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Bent Socket

Default Bent Socket

The answer is simple if you know it. I'm not sure so it's probably better to ask. Rotax calls it "bent socket 80 degrees." It's the hose fitting on the head from the expansion tank. My question is can the neck be clocked to make a more gentle turn? I have one hose that makes an "S". If I can adjust the neck to the left maybe 30 degrees or so the hose would make a more natural single curve. Make sense?

Post Re: Bent Socket

JR,

Makes sense.

The 80 degree elbow is threaded into the flange which is held to the top of the head by the two socket head screws.

The threaded joint between the elbow and the flange is sealed with 648 locktite.

There is a red silicon O ring (silicon because the location is pretty darn hot during engine operation) which seals between the bottom of the flange and the head - the O ring will be at the bottom of the recess.

The way to do this is to remove the flange/elbow and take the elbow and flange apart. You cannot successfully unscrew the elbow from the flange unless softening the threadlocker by applying heat to the joint - otherwise the parts will probably be destroyed. A propane torch works well to do this. The elbow is not very hard material so you will want to go a little at a time unscrewing the elbow from flange while getting enough heat on it to soften the locktite. Holding the flange in a vise while using a close fitting dowel in the elbow can minimize the possibility of damaging the elbow. Once the parts are separated, the threads must be cleaned up from the old locktite. Locktite 648 is used on the threads when reassembling the flange and elbow while screwing the elbow at the correct position a person wants it at. The silicon O ring should be replaced.

There may be a temptation to use a shortcut method of heating the elbow while in the head and rotating the elbow to the preferred position; however, the reconstituted locktite won't be right after it hardens or the O ring may be damaged a bit and there is a pretty good possibility of a leak developing later.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Default Re: Bent Socket

Thanks Dave. Your complete and detailed answer was exactly what I was looking for. James Thomas