Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: SS7 Trim Actuator Collar

Question SS7 Trim Actuator Collar

I recently installed the trim actuator and I have a question about the collar that goes around the trim actuator tube right above the trim actuator motor.

Since this has a hose clamp around it, I assume that it is supposed to clamp down on the tube to provide stability at the fixed end attach point when the trim actuator is activated.

With the hose clamp tightened all the way and the gap in the collar is closed, my collar is still loose on the trim actuator tube. Do I need to remove material from the collar to make a wider gap so with the hose clamp tightened up, the collar grips the tube?

Also, what have people done to dress up the excess band sticking out form the hose clamp.

Thanks!
    Idaho Red Fox

Default Re: SS7 Trim Actuator Collar

Dave,

I think the collar should grip the tube tightly. I also believe that it is a "safety" modification... there may have been a loosening or separation of a tube and the motor sometime in the past (I don't know - purely speculation). You could ask the factory.

The end of the clamp can be trimmed with a good pair of hand shears and dressed with a file, grinder or belt sander after you determine how long it needs to be, then reinstalled.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Default Re: SS7 Trim Actuator Collar

I recently installed mine. I spoke with John at the factory and he advised it would likely need to be shim material. It is a backup if the housing for the trim actuator should fail.