Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Avionics Wiring Harness: A Tutorial

Default Re: Avionics Wiring Harness: A Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    I had read that the Kitfox toggle switch was, uh, "less than durable" over the long run, so I had intended to go with the RA and TCW Safety Trim.
    In signal-level service, the Kitfox switch would probably outlast the airplane. I obviously have no first-hand experience with a failed Kitfox trim switch, but my guess is that the problem with it is contact wear related to back-EMF from the motor. Since the switch has to operate the motor in both directions, it's not possible to protect its contacts with a diode across the motor like you normally would. Either orientation of the diode would short the drive current in one direction or the other. It's not really a problem with the switch Kitfox selected; it just lives a particularly hard life.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Default Re: Avionics Wiring Harness: A Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    In signal-level service, the Kitfox switch would probably outlast the airplane. I obviously have no first-hand experience with a failed Kitfox trim switch, but my guess is that the problem with it is contact wear related to back-EMF from the motor. Since the switch has to operate the motor in both directions, it's not possible to protect its contacts with a diode across the motor like you normally would. Either orientation of the diode would short the drive current in one direction or the other. It's not really a problem with the switch Kitfox selected; it just lives a particularly hard life.
    I'll pile on here too Alex. The stock Kitfox config has the whole current draw of the trim motor getting pulled through it. So the contract wear that Eric talks to is greater (read happens faster). If you are using the Safety Trim, then the current through the switch is dropped to mA vice Amps. Lot less wear and it gets you to Eric's "signal-level" service. Since I didn't use my panel switch, I'll be more than happy to give it to you.

Geek
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage