Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: skylight rib delete

Default skylight rib delete

I see that on the newer models there is no center skylight rib. My model 5 manual calls for it but it's missing from my kit. I also have the shorter windshield so there is a connection between the windshield and the skylight. Curious to know if others have deleted the skylight rib all together or is this rib necessary for whatever reason on the older kits? I am leaning towards leaving it out since the connection strip between the windshield and the skylight is "V" shaped and does offer support, and the fact that the newer kits don't use it. Any thoughts......

Default Re: skylight rib delete

My 1994 KIT series 5 had one but I wondered about needing it also however, since the newer kits have a windshield that goes all the way to the front of the turtle deck I questioned if that were a factor. Since I had the part, I went ahead and installed it. I'm giving thought to replacing my windshield with a one piece assuming the skylight center rib isn't a factor.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

I think the center rib goes away if you have a one piece windshield/skylight, which I do. I'm quite sure I have that center rib if you want it.

I would suggest contacting Kitfox to see if it is not required. If you need it just let me know.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Thanks Alex. I sent them a message. I may take you up on your offer if needed.

My guess is it may have to do with whether you have an acrylic windshield or polycarbonate.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear