Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Fuel flow meter?

Default Fuel flow meter?

What did you guys put on your rotax fuel lines to read fuel flow and pressure displayed on the EFIS?
    And where did you mount it?
    Thanks Harlan
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Default Re: Fuel flow meter?

I've got the same question. In the case where you have a return line to the header tank it seems like you need two fuel flow sensors.

I'm hoping someone has the answer and can type real slow so I can understand.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Red cubes ft60, 2 of them. Stein or spruce sells them. Put One beforethe start of the fuel rail and one at the end. Efis then does the math to tell you fuel flow. Then you program how big your tank is and now you have a fuel gauge(counter) of fuel remaining. You do have to calibrate it. I have mine accurate to .2 gallons but takes a while to get it dialed.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Red cubes ft60, 2 of them. Stein or spruce sells them. Put One beforethe start of the fuel rail and one at the end. Efis then does the math to tell you fuel flow. Then you program how big your tank is and now you have a fuel gauge(counter) of fuel remaining. You do have to calibrate it. I have mine accurate to .2 gallons but takes a while to get it dialed.

Do you have these on the engine side of the fire wall between the fuel pumps and the engine, then on the return line? Or inside on suction and return lines?
    Thanks
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

Engine side is where I put mine. I suppose you could put them on the feed and return of the header tank? They have some pretty detailed requirements like how close to a pump they can be and how close to a fitting or a bend so to get accurate readings. They are basically a wheel or small paddle that spins from the fuel flow so if there is abnormal flow or any cavitation it messes them up. Just look up the manual online and check installation instructions. On mine I put them engine side, first one goes after the fuel pump and before the fuel rail and then on the return line after the fuel rail and before the firewall. Basically they measure how much fuel is going to the engine, and how much fuel is returning and then subtract one from the other to tell how much fuel your engine is burning.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Hey Harlan. If your 915iS is anything like the 912iS, you will only require a fuel pressure sender. Your big $$$ you spent on your engine should have the EMU reporting all the Consumption and remaining fuel numbers. The only thing the 912iS didn't come with is the pressure sensor. I bought the "red cube" as well, didn't realize it wasn't required, but it's still sitting in my garage.
    My fuel pressure sensor is mounted on the fuel manifold on the engine side of the firewall.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Good point Eddie! My description is for how to get fuel flow on a 912. I think I read the 915 you can connect the canbus and read data coming from the ecu?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Hey Harlan. If your 915iS is anything like the 912iS, you will only require a fuel pressure sender. Your big $$$ you spent on your engine should have the EMU reporting all the Consumption and remaining fuel numbers. The only thing the 912iS didn't come with is the pressure sensor. I bought the "red cube" as well, didn't realize it wasn't required, but it's still sitting in my garage.
    My fuel pressure sensor is mounted on the fuel manifold on the engine side of the firewall.

Well thanks for the info Eddie, I have the fuel pressure sensor same place that you have but I didn't know I'd already bought the rest of the information I needed in the box!
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer