Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: VG Installation Tips

Default VG Installation Tips

I received my Stolspeed VGs today. I've watched several YouTube videos on how to install them and where. I'm going to put them 35mm behind the leading edge and put two of them in alternate directions between the ribs using the template John sent in the kit. What I'm wondering about is how to make a line from the wing tip to the root. I have white PolyTone wings so I don't want to use a marker. I've thought of using a chalk like but that doesn't seem like it would be all that accurate due to the ribs and valleys between them. I thought about using the alignment template used to make sure the leading edge is in the correct location and making some kind of jig but I don't know just how I would make it work. Does anyone have a suggestion?
    Thanks
    Fred
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

Default Re: VG Installation Tips

Just spitballing here. Rent a laser level from Home Depot or other tool rental place? There are also some cheaper options if you wanted to buy one. Mount it on a camera tripod and you can adjust the height/angle to where you need it, and most should easily be able to project a visible line the length of the wing.
    Student Pilot
    Here to absorb everything about building a KF.

Masking tape?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a string line.

Thanks for the ideas. It occurred to me that fishing line would probably to the trick. The masking tape would work but would take a little more time and effort.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

I used a kite string line taped in the correct location. Tape was on the fiberglass wing tip cap and the plexiglass canopy. I carefully cut a jig out of thin cardboard for the vanes to slide into with the front of the cardboard aligned with the string. I altered the instructions a bit so that there were two vanes Between each rib. Worked great. I’ve only lost one in over a year flying with them. I also put them on the rudder and the underside of the horizontal stab.

This - I'd do the laser level, by far the easiest way to do a straight line

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by DMMeix View Post
    Just spitballing here. Rent a laser level from Home Depot or other tool rental place? There are also some cheaper options if you wanted to buy one. Mount it on a camera tripod and you can adjust the height/angle to where you need it, and most should easily be able to project a visible line the length of the wing.

I figured out how to use the template that one uses to position the leading edge to determine where the 35mm line would go and then use it to tape a fishing line to the wing. I have pictures I was going to share but I can't get pics to upload. It's an ongoing issue.

So, I installed the VGs on Saturday. My pre-install power off stall was 43 and power on stall was 41. After installing the VGs my power off stall was 42, no surprise there due to the flat angle of attack however, the power on stall was 35. What a difference. My cruise was unchanged at 110 and 5200rpm. Prop position between flights was unchanged. Temps were close to the same with today being a couple of degrees warmer.

I do not use flaps so I do not know what the differences there would be. My landings were better. It may not be related but it seemed like I was not dropping it in as hard. I do know that I was more comfortable approaching the numbers at 55.

Thanks for all the hints. Wish I could figure out why I can't upload pics.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

MAVERIC, just in the wings? or Ruderr and horizontal stab.??

Quote Originally Posted by skyfox View Post
    MAVERIC, just in the wings? or Ruder and horizontal stab.??
    I also added them to the underside of the horizontal stabilizer 4" in front of the spar at 30 millimeters apart. I did this because when I did try to stall with 40 degrees of slaps, the rear wing would stall first. I couldn't get the main wing to stall. It would sort of just porpoise. I've been told that this is a common problem with the series 5 elevator being too small.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ