Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shopping for a new tailwheel spring

Default Shopping for a new tailwheel spring

PXL_20210703_134154399.jpg

So I sheared a tailwheel bolt over the weekend. Didn't even notice it until the next preflight. I have since replaced the bolt and have flown the airplane without any issues.

I know that the one piece aluminum spring gear was designed with this failure point in mind and I flew with one in the Stick and Rudder plane and thought it felt pretty nice. Is there any reason to skip this solution and go straight to the T3? I have to believe the aluminum saves a couple pounds at a very long arm. Back of the envelope math tells me I'll give up about 5 pounds of baggage capacity with the T3 vs the leaf springs I have now. I assume the aluminum is close in weight to my current setup if not slightly lighter.

Thoughts?
    John Grueter
    N188LR
    Kenosha, WI
    Series 7 Super Sport - flying!

Default Re: Shopping for a new tailwheel spring

The Grove aluminum spring and the T3 are two very different animals. The T3 purpose is a cushioned, non-rebounding tailwheel for unimproved surfaces. I am not convinced it is as tough or much tougher than the Grove. The Grove aluminum was developed as a much stronger upgrade to the leaf springs, but no attempt was made for cushioning or rebound; in fact the Grove is a little stiffer and harsh compared to the leaf spring. In my opinion, if you need the cushioning/non-rebound then the T3 is the way to go. If you are just looking for more strength and toughness and cost is important, then the Grove is great (I have had one for about 4 years with no issues).
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Not to hi-jack this thread (but, I guess that I am) - is the Grove tail wheel spring lighter? How much?

When I compared the weight of my original 3-leaf steel spring assy. vs the T3, the T3 was approximately 1.5 lb. heavier... that's all. I do like the T3 very much. I increased the size of those 2 bolts to AN4 (1/4") vs the original AN3 also. The T3 allows a tail wheel first landing technique without the rebound which can make very short landings a little shorter for me. Another advantage is less stress on the fuselage back there. Just some points to consider.
    Last edited by jrevens; 07-06-2021 at 05:26 PM. Reason: corrected weight
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    When I compared the weight of my original 3-leaf steel spring assy. vs the T3, the T3 was approximately 1.5 lb. heavier... that's all. I do like the T3 very much. I increased the size of those 2 bolts to AN4 (1/4") vs the original AN3 also. The T3 allows a tail wheel first landing technique without the rebound which can make very short landings a little shorter for me. Another advantage is less stress on the fuselage back there. Just some points to consider.
    Agree to all and I immediately noticed less jarring on the tail on rougher strips. Definitely like that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Whisky View Post
    Not to hi-jack this thread (but, I guess that I am) - is the Grove tail wheel spring lighter? How much?
    I have the Grove aluminum tail wheel, which is currently on my plane but coming off soon so I can start covering. I'll weigh it when it's off. Like the Grove aluminum main gear there's nothing particularly light about it, it's just simple and tough.

I know the T3 is "all that" for heavy duty use but the places I land are routinely served by planes with all varieties of tail wheels and none break off. If it's really rough the tail wheel should spend minimal time on the ground anyway. Maybe I'll upgrade later, who knows.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Does anyone know anything about this aluminum spring? It doesn’t appear to be a grove spring. I have one just like it and was curious to hear any good or bad reports. It came with a second hand tailwheel that I purchased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

It looks to me like the Grove aluminum spring.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

It is a Grove spring. Had one on my model 3 for about 800 hours. Worked great.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I had that Spring, it is a Grove. Grove told me to throw it in the trash, as a number of them have broken. I had
    a custom built 3 leaf made by a spring shop, basically same dimensions as the Grove, but 5 degree steeper bend
    the Grove was a very harsh spring.

I replaced my mount bolts with 1/4 NAS bolts

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Benbell4140 View Post
    Does anyone know anything about this aluminum spring? It doesn’t appear to be a grove spring. I have one just like it and was curious to hear any good or bad reports. It came with a second hand tailwheel that I purchased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk