Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Titan engines

Default Titan engines

I know a lot of Kitfoxes are using the Rotax 9 series, but does anyone have an opinion on the Titan engines. I am thinking of the X340 for a 7SS. I was also thinking of overhauling a Lycoming. I fly mostly in the central US but want to head out to Homeland and see the backcountry.

Clarence G.
    A&P with IA
    Private Pilot SEL

Default Re: Titan engines

It's been done. Many details available in this build thread: https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...ffs-340-Kitfox
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

What about UL power?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Thanks for the link. I was wanting to know a bit more about the Titan compared to the Rotax. In the link, Jeff talked about how great the climb performance was. He did not mention much about cruise. As I am planning on a Super Sport and not the STi, cruise is just as important to me as climb. When I e-mailed John at Kitfox, he mentioned in his reply that the Titan is heavy and really pushes your CG forward.

As for the Rotax UL power, I think very highly of the Rotax’s. In my years as an A&P tho, I have only really looked at them from a distance. I am more familiar with the Lycomings and Continentals. I know these engines are all reliable, but even Trent Palmer threw a piston rod out the side of a case.

Clarence G
    A&P with IA
    Private Pilot SEL
    Planning 7SS

Originally I was in the same position as you. Based on my research Jeff has the only super sport wing powered by the 320-340 engine. The factory model was an STI and also the guy building up in Alaska has the STI wing. My personal choice was the continental O-200 but John McBean did tell me if I were considering an O-200 then I should just go with the Titan. I chose the O-200 after talking with a few owners that use the O-200 and it saved me a considerable amount of money over the Titan. It’s all about what your mission is. My mission was to outperform a J-3 and have side by side seating and I’m pretty sure my airplane will exceed my expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

I have built two Kitfox 5s, one with a C-O200 and now one with a R912ULS. Maybe not fair to compare with a 7SS but it does level the playing field for comparison of performance from a flying prospective. I find that the R912ULS performs better all around and I attribute that to the lighter weight (777lbs vs. 870lbs). However, I will say that my prior flying experience with a dozen different planes I've owned that everyone of had a Continental motor, I'm far more comfortable with a Continental. It sounds like you might be in the same boat as me thinking that the slow RPM high cubic inch motors have proven their reliability for 80 years so why change. However, with gaining more and more experience in flying behind the R912ULS I am gaining more confidence. And, I've had some high RPM small cubic inch motors that were very reliable in several cars. I guess my stubbornness to accepting the R912ULS is finally giving way to modern technology being applied to aviation. In fact, yesterday I heard of a R912ULS motor with 3,000 hours on it that was torn down and rebuilt and all the parts still met factory specs so the only parts that were replaced were new rings. Is this true? I am not a witness to it but, I believe my source given his 30 years of experience with Rotax engines.

As for the failure Trent Palmer had, yes, he threw a rod but he also admitted that he was flying an old engine that was originally built as an R912UL eighty horsepower engine that had been modified by the prior owner. His admonition was don't modify your engine. Buy the one you want and leave it stock. Now maybe that notion has changed with more modern Rotax engines but, given that these engines were designed to be what they are, buy the horsepower you want in the first place and at least you'll know your engine is most likely to be reliable for a long time.

And, then there's the fuel burn. How many hours can you afford to fly and how fast do you need to get there? What are the performance requirements you have. An TX340 may be necessary if you need to go faster and carry more weight but given the gross weight restrictions you have on the airframe will you even have enough payload to do what you want if you go with the TX340? And, if it's more HP you need the R915iS will give you 140hp. I'm just saying the first time I built, I went with my gut, the second time I went with faith in friends that I have that have flown Rotaxs for 20-30 years. The short of it is, I was satisfied with both but certainly prefer the performance of the Rotax more than the heavier C-O200.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

Thanks Maverick. I have thought a lot about this engine choice and it seems like everyone is trying to convince me that the Rotax is a better choice. I get it. The Rotax is a better fit for this aircraft. Its power to weight ratio and fuel burn are better and the turbo gives you better performance at higher elevations. And I get that not a lot of builders are using the Titan XO340 because of this.

Well, as I put on my last post, planning a 7 Super Sport build. At this point I think I am just going to have to get my fuselage FWA kit ordered and get that going. Then I will have to see what my budget and what is available before I make a final choice.

Clarence G

This is exactly what I did. Fuselage kit first to give me some time to decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

Hello Clarence,
    I had a 0-320 e3d when I decided to build my kitfox. Looked at all the other comps., as far as aircraft kits and decided on the SS7. understanding from John that he had good things to say about the performance... but it is a heavier engine......... so with that I made the personal decision , I had my engine rebuilt with 160 hp Lycoming cylinders, roller lifters, $16,500. carburated MA-4 ,Vans airbox and inlet on lower cowl, plane power alt. and skytec lightweight starter. 82 " Whirlwind prop and Vetterman exhaust, dual p-mags, single 10" Dynon with Garmin G200b radio intercom ( trying ) to do everything to keep it light , but with that said I will be in the low 900#'s range when done. so my driving decision was already having the Lycoming, liked the simplicity of these engines , flying by myself most of the time is my platform for these choices , I camp, hunt and fish usually alone... I hope this may help you , good luck I am always eager to help ,with my adventures building and sharing what I have done. My cell if you would like to talk, 360-914-0014 Billy

Flying my O-320 B2B powered STi this week. Will give you some numbers. Price wise, O-320 is waaay cheaper and you can just have Lycon work your top end over and achieve the same power for much less. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I also put a Piper Super Cub cowl on the front as well. Turned out beautiful. Weight wise I was at 933# a couple weeks ago, I suspect Ill be in at around 950#. Will find out tomorrow.
    S7 STi O-320 currently flying