Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Titan engines

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Titan engines

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Much appreciated. I utilize this sort of info daily.
    You're quite welcome. Nothing like using our hard earned dollars to empower the enemy of democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMike View Post
    You're quite welcome. Nothing like using our hard earned dollars to empower the enemy of democracy.
    Thank you for this statement, very true words. I am glad to see that someone has the guts to say it.

Mitch

Thanks Maverick. I have thought a lot about this engine choice and it seems like everyone is trying to convince me that the Rotax is a better choice. I get it. The Rotax is a better fit for this aircraft. Its power to weight ratio and fuel burn are better and the turbo gives you better performance at higher elevations. And I get that not a lot of builders are using the Titan XO340 because of this.

Well, as I put on my last post, planning a 7 Super Sport build. At this point I think I am just going to have to get my fuselage FWA kit ordered and get that going. Then I will have to see what my budget and what is available before I make a final choice.

Clarence G

This is exactly what I did. Fuselage kit first to give me some time to decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

Hello Clarence,
    I had a 0-320 e3d when I decided to build my kitfox. Looked at all the other comps., as far as aircraft kits and decided on the SS7. understanding from John that he had good things to say about the performance... but it is a heavier engine......... so with that I made the personal decision , I had my engine rebuilt with 160 hp Lycoming cylinders, roller lifters, $16,500. carburated MA-4 ,Vans airbox and inlet on lower cowl, plane power alt. and skytec lightweight starter. 82 " Whirlwind prop and Vetterman exhaust, dual p-mags, single 10" Dynon with Garmin G200b radio intercom ( trying ) to do everything to keep it light , but with that said I will be in the low 900#'s range when done. so my driving decision was already having the Lycoming, liked the simplicity of these engines , flying by myself most of the time is my platform for these choices , I camp, hunt and fish usually alone... I hope this may help you , good luck I am always eager to help ,with my adventures building and sharing what I have done. My cell if you would like to talk, 360-914-0014 Billy

Flying my O-320 B2B powered STi this week. Will give you some numbers. Price wise, O-320 is waaay cheaper and you can just have Lycon work your top end over and achieve the same power for much less. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I also put a Piper Super Cub cowl on the front as well. Turned out beautiful. Weight wise I was at 933# a couple weeks ago, I suspect Ill be in at around 950#. Will find out tomorrow.
    S7 STi O-320 currently flying

here is a snapshot of my first start last week. Prop is a Catto 84/37.

6F418E6B-8D7A-4B50-96AE-A767042D54FC.jpeg
    Quote Originally Posted by Denalifox View Post
    Flying my O-320 B2B powered STi this week. Will give you some numbers. Price wise, O-320 is waaay cheaper and you can just have Lycon work your top end over and achieve the same power for much less. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I also put a Piper Super Cub cowl on the front as well. Turned out beautiful. Weight wise I was at 933# a couple weeks ago, I suspect Ill be in at around 950#. Will find out tomorrow.
    S7 STi O-320 currently flying

Nice picture except for the young person who appears to be standing directly in the plane of the propeller.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (rebuilt and now flying)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

I fly a 7 ss with a stock o200 and 8.00 size tires. I get 103 mph IAS cruise. I understand the slower climb though.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

When making these performance comparisons , you have to be sure that you're comparing apples to apples as they say. You don't mention what type of airspeeds the given figures are. What you are after are TAS (true airspeeds) not IAS for conditions on a given day. Also other conditions like loading of each airplane, how they are faired (ex. are the lift struts airfoiled) tire size (that you did mention) and prop type and pitch, type of gear etc . If the IAS airspeeds in each plane aren't correct than the the airspeed numbers you see will not be correct. I have a Series 5 with a Continental IO-240 engine (125HP) . empty weight is a porky 960lbs (heavy engine at around 250lbs, autopilot and stuff) well faired with airfoiled lift and stab struts , grove gear with Desser 8.50 (22") tires , Sensenich wood prop (70 3/4"dia. x58 pitch) . Having said that my TAS is 120 mph at 2500 RPM @ mid density altitudes of 3000-8000' . average day climb rates on a standard day at a solo weight of 1200-1300lbs would be around 800fpm at Vy. So before doing an engine change , I would verify that all your numbers are good and to do this you have to do a side by side test to each airplane you are comparing to. Bruce N199CL