Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Titan engines

Default Re: Titan engines

here is a snapshot of my first start last week. Prop is a Catto 84/37.

6F418E6B-8D7A-4B50-96AE-A767042D54FC.jpeg
    Quote Originally Posted by Denalifox View Post
    Flying my O-320 B2B powered STi this week. Will give you some numbers. Price wise, O-320 is waaay cheaper and you can just have Lycon work your top end over and achieve the same power for much less. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I also put a Piper Super Cub cowl on the front as well. Turned out beautiful. Weight wise I was at 933# a couple weeks ago, I suspect Ill be in at around 950#. Will find out tomorrow.
    S7 STi O-320 currently flying

Nice picture except for the young person who appears to be standing directly in the plane of the propeller.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Hello Lauren,

I really like your airplane, congratulations . I like your choice fabricating your own cowl too. I used the carbon cowl from kitfox for the 235 and underestimated the amount of modification I had to do to get the 0-320 inside of it. , had I known, your route would have been a better choice and it looks very nice, so good on you ! can't wait to see your test flight numbers ,hope you can share those with me, Take care, Billy

Thanks Billy and Lauren. I just got to get the kit and get started on building it and someday I will be right up there with you guys. I keep looking at the STi and I am beginning to think that is what I want to build.

Clarence G
    A&P with IA
    Private Pilot SEL
    Planning 7 SS or STi

I'm not judging anyone, but I think it's fair to mention, Continental (Titan) is wholly owned by "Aviation Industry Corporation of China". Which is a Chinese state owned aerospace company headquartered in Beijing. Yes, we buy stuff made in China every single day of our lives. I get it. Just wanted to throw that out there for those who care but didn't know.
    Last edited by AlphaMike; 08-09-2021 at 05:25 AM.

Much appreciated. I utilize this sort of info daily.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Just saw the picture and wanted to point out that it is not a good idea to have that young person or anyone else for that matter standing in the plane of the prop.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Much appreciated. I utilize this sort of info daily.
    You're quite welcome. Nothing like using our hard earned dollars to empower the enemy of democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMike View Post
    You're quite welcome. Nothing like using our hard earned dollars to empower the enemy of democracy.
    Thank you for this statement, very true words. I am glad to see that someone has the guts to say it.

Mitch

I know this is an old thread but thought someone might look at it again.
    I fly a Kitfox 7 SS with a continental O-200 (on 26" ABW). I have also flown a 7SS with rotax912UL (on 8.5's) and a 7 STI with 915is (on 31" ABW). As much as I like my plane, the performance difference was very notificable. Both rotax out performend my plane in climb and cruise.

I get about 95 mph in cruise at 2550 RPM. The 7SS 912UL was at 120 mph. The 7STI 915is was 115 mph.

at sea level the 912UL had about a 200 fpm climb advantage over mine (flown the same day)
    at 5000-6000 ft altitude summer day in Idaho, the 7STI 915is had about 800 fpm climb advantage over mine. Also the STI wing dropped the landing speed by about 10 mph (I have not put VGs on mine yet and he had VGs also so that will play a role)

Takeoff roll was barely noticable between mine and the 7SS 912UL (maybe 50 ft), but the 7STI 915is cut about 100-150 ft off the takeoff roll even in the mountains in the summer.

I have no experience with the titan engines.

Hope that helps.