Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Facet fuel pump location

Default Facet fuel pump location

Hello, I’m trying to pick the best spot to mount my facet fuel pump. The easiest spot would be forward of the fuel valve mounted upside down to the top of the center console. This is a bit far from the header tank though. I think it would have plenty of head pressure from the wing tanks but I’m not sure. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

Default Re: Facet fuel pump location

Ben way back when on my Continental IO-240 powered, Series 5, a Facet pump was supplied with the firewall forward kit and the suggested mounting was where you are planning yours. Only problem was it was a complete failure for this engine installation and could not supply sufficient pressure for solid engine starts. Now the injected IO-240 is certainly a different animal from your O-200 , so maybe it will works for you. I used the Facet as a paper weight and installed a holley "blue" bigger pump behind the passenger seat at the exit port of my header tank. Perhaps Ken Nougaret will chime in to tell you what he did with O-200 powered Kitfox. Bruce N199CL

This is where I mounted a back up pump for a 912 ULS but this spot worked out pretty good. Might give you some ideas.
    IMG_4289.jpg
    IMG_4290.jpg
    IMG_4291.jpg

An O-200 is not fuel injected. The only thing a fuel pump is needed for is priming the engine. I would not bother with the Facet pump, they don't do much of anything. I would lean towards using a simple hand primer. ACS has a primer kit for under $25.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

On my first KF5 w/ C-O200 I used the pump and it was located under the console like you mentioned initially however, I always wondered if it was necessary just as Phil said. My C-150 and C-172 didn't have fuel pumps. The location of the fuel tanks provided enough pressure to feed the engine and both had primers. I didn't see the need for the pump and it was just another possible point of failure but I would be sure your fuel flow test satisfies you to go without it.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

Ben, I did install a facet in the location you mentioned. However, I dont use it or need it. I turn it on prior to the 1st start of the day, just to exercise it. The engine primes easily by just pumping the throttle.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Well since I already have it and the panel has a switch that is already engraved for fuel pump I think I’ll go ahead and install it. I do appreciate everyone’s input. And I’ll surely do a fuel flow test later on in the build. Thanks

Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered