Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ignition Module Wires, Repair Advice

Default Re: Ignition Module Wires, Repair Advice

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    I bought one of those modules from Allistare Wilson. I tried it on the 912 UL, and it worked fine. Ended up not needing it and so it's in a drawer waiting till I install the ULS and I will use it on that engine cause it has a soft start module built into it. I would not hesitated to get another one if needed. I also moved my modules to the firewall side of the motor mount to avoid broken wires in the future. If I was you, I would maybe fix both modules you have, install one of the aftermarket ones, and have a spare Rotax one if you ever need it. JImChuk

As Jim mention, probably a good idea to have a spare. I had a persistent issue with my modules several years ago. Substandard wire in them (in my opinion). Several areas of the wires broken inside of the insulation. I had to cut/spice/repair several sections of my modules and wires from the stator.

Granted I come from experience in building military grade electronical test equipment for fighter aircraft, so was used to using very high quality wires. The wire that Rotax (ducati) uses is pure junk!

Thanks everyone, appreciate the input! I ended up buying two new modules from Allistair. I will also redo the wiring on my old Ducati modules to keep as a backup set. I'm lucky enough to live down the road from Rotech, so I went and talked to them about repairing the modules. Once I get it all complete, which will likely take a while, I'll try and post a couple pics in the event it can help someone else out. Thanks!

Yes, crappy wire! I had to buy a replacement module for my 912ul and the cost was eye watering. I could buy a new magneto for that price! You would expect better quality for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by WWhunter View Post
    As Jim mention, probably a good idea to have a spare. I had a persistent issue with my modules several years ago. Substandard wire in them (in my opinion). Several areas of the wires broken inside of the insulation. I had to cut/spice/repair several sections of my modules and wires from the stator.

Granted I come from experience in building military grade electronical test equipment for fighter aircraft, so was used to using very high quality wires. The wire that Rotax (ducati) uses is pure junk!
    Building a KF IV Classic

Who is this Alistar that you're all talking about and how do I get a hold of him for a price on modules with the "soft start" feature built in?
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Quote Originally Posted by Birdseyeview View Post
    Who is this Alistar that you're all talking about and how do I get a hold of him for a price on modules with the "soft start" feature built in?
    Here you go Larry:
    https://barnstormers.com/classified-...and-6-pin.html

ROTAX CDI BOXES 4 AND 6 PIN$245NOW AVAILABLENew aftermarket CDI Boxes for Rotax 912 and 912 S engines with inbuilt soft start. $245 plus S&H.• Contact Allistair Wilson - SPORTFLIGHT INTERNATIONAL LLC , Owner - located Bloomfield, IN United States Telephone: 812 384 4760
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

What is the concept of "Soft Start"? I've seen it referenced but, I don't really know what it is. Would someone care to edify me?
    Maverick
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

The soft start, at least on these aftermarket modules uses 12 volt power from the wire going to the starter solenoid switch for low rpm spark. When the key it turned to start position, starter engages, and ignition module is energized. Otherwise the modules don't generate spark until about 300 rpm. When key it turned off start position, solenoid and module don't receive 12 volt power. JImChuk

AND it is "soft start" because it retards the spark timing (hopefully to just after top dead center) for a couple of seconds to help prevent kickback. That's a problem on 912uls and will damage the starting clutch.
    Building a KF IV Classic

Yes, what the two previous guys stated. It basically retards the timing on ONE module (you're suppose to start on one module and then turn on the other module. I have mine wired to two toggle switches. One for each module. Bullyhawk was the seller I got mine from, but not sure if they are still available.

Quote Originally Posted by WWhunter View Post
    It basically retards the timing on ONE module (you're suppose to start on one module and then turn on the other module.
    I have never heard this before. I always start mine with both ignitions turned on. Why would you only start with one ignition?
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ