Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Adjusting Matco 8" Dual Arm Springs

Default Adjusting Matco 8" Dual Arm Springs

I've spent most of the evening looking for instructions on adjusting the springs on a Matco 8" Dual Arm tail wheel. Matco does have a couple of videos but they are in Flash format and no browser has supported that format for a couple of years. The only video I've found has a nice presentation but is not for a Matco.

The general instructions were:
    • Jack tail wheel off the ground
    • Rotate tail wheel to the right and stop just before it disengages
    • Swing rudder to full right.
    • Attach spring to left rudder horn and tail wheel arm.
    • Repeat with tail wheel and rudder swung to the left and hook up the right chain.
    • There was a little slack in the chains when the tail wheel and rudder were centered.

Can anyone give a brief explanation of how to rig the Matco?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtokU8mIDQk
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Default Re: Adjusting Matco 8" Dual Arm Springs

As I understood the instructions given to me by the Matco Rep at Oshkosh after I told him what happened to me. This was after I replaced it mind you, so I never did it. He advised that with the tailwheel center you hook up the springs so that each spring is slightly loaded. He also recommended the compression type springs vs what Kitfox sent. When John M sold me the ABI tailwheel he too recommended the compression type springs.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Default Re: Adjusting Matco 8" Dual Arm Springs

I called Matco and got the same instructions. Jack up the tail to make the shaft vertical. Center the rudder and tail wheel. Attach springs with slight, even tension on both sides. I'll be using compression springs and the attachments will be "captured" so no chance of loosing a spring.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X