Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Advice wanted: Planning SS7 Rotac radial on floats.

Default Advice wanted: Planning SS7 Rotac radial on floats.

Hello all,

I am looking for opinions and advice regarding my KitFox plans. Hoping to hear from all the builders that made mistakes and learned from them as well as the lucky ones that got it right the first time.

Very soon I plan to order a SS7 kit. The plan is to build a SS7 on straight floats with the Rotac 2800 radial.

Maybe there is someone out there that has already done this. I would love to hear from them.

This will be strictly a fair weather airplane for fun local flying. Myself, I have never flown floats and it is at least 35 years since I have flown anything resembling the KitFox.

Crazy,……right ?

Thanks in advance,

Soo

Default Re: Advice wanted: Planning SS7 Rotac radial on floats.

I think we're all a little crazy to be building our own airplanes, but it has been done
    https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...7-Radial-Build
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

As the previous post states, I built a SS7 with amphib floats. Let me know what questions you have.
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

Hi, just interested why the rotec radial? Just check with manufacturer if they are still supplying, he told a friend of mine he was finished with manufacturing engines. Always a possibility with small manufacturers, and supply of parts into the future is concern

Quote Originally Posted by N213RV View Post
    As the previous post states, I built a SS7 with amphib floats. Let me know what questions you have.
    I looked at the pictures and that is a beauty.

I have seen many KitFoxes on floats but never one with the radial.

As far as floats goes I was wondering about the big wooden prop in the water environment. Also I understand it is heavier. My plan is straight floats that are lighter and no plans for wheels or skis ever so no brakes, again lighter, but I am looker for further weight reductions and tips.

As far as the engine goes I am wondering about reliability and customer service experiences. There are some horror stories on line but that was a while ago and there is always at least one disgruntled customer no matter how good your work is.

Is this an engine that you can overhaul yourself and does Rotac support that?

Thinking of placing my order very soon. It would appear that with average lead times and build times I will have at least 3 years to make the decision on the engine.

Thanks,

Soo

Quote Originally Posted by Planesmaker View Post
    Hi, just interested why the rotec radial? Just check with manufacturer if they are still supplying, he told a friend of mine he was finished with manufacturing engines. Always a possibility with small manufacturers, and supply of parts into the future is concern
    The Radial is purely for the sight, sounds, smells and whole antique experience.

This will be purely a fun, fair weather, short range pleasure craft. It is also a bit of an art project.

Although it is a factor, practicality is not the primary reason for this combination.

Rotec’s website shows no indication of ceasing production and seems up to date. I still have a few years to wait them out though.

Soo