Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Positive wheel camber

Default Positive wheel camber

My tires have been wearing unevenly due apparently to positive camber. I understand that the camber changes with weight. But the majority of my flying is probably at a higher weight than most of you. Most of my flying is with my wife, so us combined is about 310 lbs and about 30 lbs in the baggage, and 1/2 to 3/4 to full fuel. And I have an o-200 so more weight there. I have no issues with handling. I suppose if the tread isnt going to wear on the center it's going to wear on the side. Is it something I should be concerned with. I welcome all thoughts on this.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Default Re: Positive wheel camber

Just to clarify, is the wear on the inside or outside?

Regardless, periodically rotate the tires... unmount and turn tire around. This will allow even wear.

As to what can cause this... which gear do you have, Cabane, Grove or other?

Ralph

Outside wear. Grove gear.
    Thanks, good suggestion.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

That wear pattern is usually a result of normal operation... just before touchdown, the gear are extended due to no load, on touchdown the gear spread as they become weight bearing causing scuffing of the tires on the outside. This is normal due to the travel of the gear when landing.

Tire rotation is the way to ensure even wear before the tire wears too thin to become unserviceable.

Ralph

Thanks Ralph!
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind