Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 915 complete installation firewall forward weights?

Default 915 complete installation firewall forward weights?

Hello to all on the Forum, Interested in the approximate weight, firewall forward of the 915 turbo ready to run with prop, exhaust, and if weight is recommended in the tail for weight and balance ? Thank you , Billy

Default Re: 915 complete installation firewall forward weights?

I'm not sure what the weight of just the FWF is but the average weight according to the factory is around 950# with the 915 and MT prop. They mount a heavy battery in the back to achieve the 65-70# on the tail which apparently is the ideal balance. I currently am building an STi with the 915 & MT prop but I'm taking a little different route with a weight reduction plan. All my avionics are remote mount in the tail and getting rid of the heavy battery and long cables. Working on the avionics install now so I don't have the final weights on everything in back yet but should in a couple of weeks.

Here is the difference between the 912is and 915is.

https://www.flyrotax.com/files/Bilde...002-RZ-ANS.pdf
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Default final weight?

Mr. Henry,
    Have you by chance done your final weight at this time? I am curious , Hope all is well, Billy

Default Re: final weight?

I have not gotten that far along yet. I unfortunately had pretty much a wasted summer with travel to Oshkosh then getting Covid, I didn't touch the airplane for 3 months. Back on track now and about 1/3 through the wiring so hope to be finished up in the Spring. My hope is to come in around the 900# mark with all the weight saving measures we are implementing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Mr. Henry,
    Have you by chance done your final weight at this time? I am curious , Hope all is well, Billy

One thing to remember with engine weight. Yes the 915 weighs less than a traditional Lyc/conti, however its 6-8' further negative on the datum due to the Rotax engine mount.
    S7 STi O-320 currently flying