Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which engine

Default Which engine

Hi, I’m new and looking for which engine would be better for me, would it be better to get a stock rotax 915 or a edge performance engine? I’m looking for horsepower anywhere from 120 to 150. Thank you all for answering all of my questions.

Default Re: Which engine

My opinion only.......... Every potential Kitfox buyer would buy a plane with a factory Rotax motor. Not every potential Kitfox buyer would buy a plane with any other engine. If you are building it to keep forever go with what your heart tells you. If there is a sliver of a chance you may one day sell it than you may want to consider what I posted.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Major ditto for DesertDave's comment.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

Do any of you with the 915 rotax engines have the total weight of what the engine ,prop , including the mount , exhaust , " ready to run" weights are ? Curious , billy

You are building the airplane for you, not for the next guy. I feel if you are going to devote that chunk of your life & labor to the project build it the way you want it. It is pretty hard to stick to a project when you have to consider how you build it for when you sell it down the road but when you are building it exactly the way you want it the enthusiasm stays there a lot better.

I am building a 7 and I am just about to order my 7U Verner radial from Ted Myers at Myers Aviation because that is what I want in it. I even have a brand new 912 ULS in the crate along with a firewall forward package to go with it, I am still going to order the radial because I don't want to listen to 5000 rpm in cruise. I know the Rotax is a good engine and I know the Kitfox will probably perform the best with it, but it is not what I want. I know I will probably sell it at some point but I am going to put the radial in it anyway. I know I will get shunned for life from the Rotax cult group but I have been shunned before and I don't care. This is my opinion to your engine question, build what you want. It is your money & time, not theirs.

A better question that you may want to ask is the Edge Rotax engine you have in mind a reliable piece and is it worth the extra money it will cost you. You need feedback from people that are using the engine you want, I think that would be of more help to you.

I am not trying to ruffle any feathers, this is just my opinion.
    Mitch

Yep. I agree with this. I’m going with the continental o-200 on mine. I know it will really hurt the resell value compared to a rotax but that is fine with me. Nothing against the rotax except for the price. And the recent price increase. I’m fine with an old continental and I know it will still out perform a cub (J-3) which is perfect for my mission.
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

Continental IO-240 engine here on my 18 year old Series 5 with no look backs , very happy with the performance and suits my missions pefectly. I plan on flying this airplane till I tip over . Bruce N199CL

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Do any of you with the 915 rotax engines have the total weight of what the engine ,prop , including the mount , exhaust , " ready to run" weights are ? Curious , billy
    Well my wire is sent - as soon as I receive my 915 I plan on weighing it in a variety of configurations because that information is frustratingly difficult to pin down. Luckily, Rotax just released a webtool that gives precise weights for the different engine/setups.

However I'm not sure why you would include the mount in that weight. For me, the mount is part of the aircraft, not part of the engine. Propeller, oil, muffler, all good questions. But I never thought of weighing the mount.

Quote Originally Posted by desertdave View Post
    My opinion only.......... Every potential Kitfox buyer would buy a plane with a factory Rotax motor. Not every potential Kitfox buyer would buy a plane with any other engine. If you are building it to keep forever go with what your heart tells you. If there is a sliver of a chance you may one day sell it than you may want to consider what I posted.
    Okay, so I'm going to probably ruffle some feathers here: An opinion is a non conclusive statement. This statement has concluded that "Every potential Kitfox buyer would buy a plane with a factory Rotax motor". Totally not true. Many builders/flyers of many kit aircraft including the Kitfox do not like or want a Rotax engine for a variety of reasons - not to start a ****ing match - but to each his own. As stated by someone else - it's your money buy, install and fly what suits you, your budget and your mission.

Would a Kitfox with a Rotax attract a buyer faster at a higher price? Probably, but they are not the only buyers either. To be considered for sure, but also should consider what your insurance rates might be with various engines - Rotax being the most proven "might" get you better rates than say an auto conversion. Many factors can contribute to the decision - it's your plane and money - go for it!

I know of more than one builder that came to the conclusion they enjoy the build process more than flying. Those people are likely to fly the plane for a while and sell it so they can move on to the next build. If that is the case then a mainstream engine selection is the way to go, and many have decided that the Rotax 91* series is ideal for the Kitfox airframe.

In the current market those planes will sell quickly, no contest. Then there are builders who just want to follow a known formula so they can get in the air. They don't want to work out the bugs of a cooling system or make a cowl from scratch. The build process can drag on for long enough so it's easy to see the logic there too.

I'm neutral on the Rotax 912 series. They have evolved to the point where reliability/longevity are on par with legacy engines. They've also reached parity on the price. Several years ago I got checked out in an Evektor which had a 912 and I did not love it. More recently I flew the Stick & Rudder SS7 with 912iS+big bore kit and I did not hate it, and certainly don't have anything negative to say about it.

Me, I'm one of the weirdos. My plane is going to earn that "EXPERIMENTAL" placard.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII