Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Need Feedback on attaching HT ribs with Hysol

Default Need Feedback on attaching HT ribs with Hysol

Hi Everyone!
    I've glued the first few ribs to the HT with Hysol. I've looked at lots of pictures but I'd like to get a critical review from The Team. I haven't cleaned the sloppiness fully. I've found it kinda difficult using the "wet finger" treatment, so I'll clean off the problem area with a Dremel later. Thanks!

IMG_5574.jpg IMG_5575.jpg IMG_5576.jpg IMG_5577.jpg IMG_5578.jpg
    Greg Anderson
    7SS in "production" : https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=ganderson
    Richland, WA

Default Re: Need Feedback on attaching HT ribs with Hysol

I’m not sure if mine is sufficient or not but this is how I glued the ribs. I used a syringe to put a bead of hysol and then dipped my finger in alcohol to smooth out the fillets. If you dip your finger in alcohol the glue will not stick to you. Your glue joints look totally acceptable in my opinion though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

Thanks for the feedback, Ben. Yours defiantly looks nicer than mine! I also used a syringe and alcohol on my finger with my nitrile gloves on but maybe my syringe hole is too big and I waited too long. I made enough for about 20ml of the 60ml syringe and applied all that before trying to wipe. I might try a smaller amount next time so it doesn't take so long.
    Greg Anderson
    Richland, WA

I’m sure you’ll be fine either way. By the time you move on to paint you’ll totally forget about the appearance of the hysol. It’s funny how things work out. There were many things that didn’t look perfect on my build but I don’t recall what they were
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

I started with larger beads of glue but found smaller beads and a popsicle worked better.
    Popsicle stick works the glue in the joint and leaves a nice looking glue joint.
    Just how I did it, do it how it suits you best, it gets covered up.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

You'll get really good at it about time you get the last rib done.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Hi Greg
    Do your best to have it look like Bens. In some of your pics there is Hysol spread around the tubing where fabric will be adhered. That will need to be sanded down or your going to have it presenting itself from under the fabric as roughness. You don't want to have to sand all those spots after it is hardened. Alcohol on a finger without the gloves is how you will get it done nicely. I worked with about 20ml in the syringe. I found that it set up fast in the syringe if I used more.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I agree with Eddie. I have a few spots where I put a bit too much on the joint, but I sanded it back smooth. With my first attempt, I mixed up too much hysol, and had to really move quickly to make it look nice. I took some advice from Darrel, and mixed up smaller batches, let it set up for about 10 minutes (to stiffen a bit), and then was able to really make the hysol look good. Dipping your finger in alcohol works perfectly. It will make smooth, shiny joints, that you will never see upon covering. Haha!

Have fun! You will do fine.

Mark
    Building
    Kitfox 7STi
    Oratex

Thanks for all the replies. I was probably using too much at one time and it set up too much before I could get my fingers on it. I did have to sand the hard stuff but I found a Dremel and a sanding disk took it off very easily letting it dry overnight. And Alex was right. The last few look very good!
    Greg Anderson
    Richland, WA