Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: proper anti-seize for Rotax exhaust system

Default proper anti-seize for Rotax exhaust system

Many of you probably already know but I am posting because I could not find this information on any google search or here on this forum.

The Rotax 912ULS manual specifies Loctite 15378 anti-seize for use on the exhaust system but as near as I can tell, that product is not sold in the USA so I emailed Henkel tech support and here is the response I got:

This product is similar to our Silver Grade Anti Seize here in the US. Part #76732 is an 8 oz brush top bottle but there are many different sizes to choose from. This product is also known as Loctite LB 8150 which may make it easier for you to locate.
    Loctite LB 8150 is much easier to find and is even available from Amazon.

Scooby

Default Re: proper anti-seize for Rotax exhaust system

Hi Scooby,

FWIW, you actually have multiple good choices for this particular application (S.S. exhaust system anti-seize/lubricant). I believe that there is nothing unusual or different between LB 8150 and many other aluminum-based anti-seize compounds. It's just a common aluminum powder-based anti-seize, good for up to 1600 deg. F. In fact, in my opinion there are better choices readily available through Amazon, your local auto supply store, etc. My favorite is nickel-based (also kind of a silvery/gray color), such as Loctite #77124. It is excellent for use with stainless steel, and is good up to 2400 deg. F. The reason I prefer it is because I've had exhaust system parts, such as slip joints & ball joints seize up over time with the aluminum-based stuff. The extra 800 deg. makes a difference. There are also copper-based products available that fall in a temperature range between these two. They are sometimes not used because of possible contamination of oxygen sensors, which is not a concern for the usual aircraft installation. The nickle stuff is good for most anything, to my knowledge.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Hey, Skooby! Are you flying your plane now? Back when you were in the covering process you kept us wondering about your paint scheme. I'd sure like to see your finished plane. Any pictures? I really enjoyed your videos!

Quote Originally Posted by Floog View Post
    Hey, Skooby! Are you flying your plane now? Back when you were in the covering process you kept us wondering about your paint scheme. I'd sure like to see your finished plane. Any pictures? I really enjoyed your videos!
    Oh, wow. This is the biggest epic fail in the history of TeamKitfox! 6 year delay in replying to a post! My first flight was 18 months ago and its been non-stop fun ever since then. I smile every time I see Dotty and below is a photo of her so you can see why I named her that ...

Best-Dotty-Photo copy.jpg