Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: re: install ignition coils Rotax 912uls

Default Re: install ignition coils Rotax 912uls

my rebuild project has the 80hp 912 with 280 hours on the hobbs;
    the 4 point rubber isolation mounting for the coils has the smallest rubber isulator taking the largest vibration load - it connects to the more rigid side of the large motor mount isulators, whereas the other 3 are connecting to the motor itself, complete with some lever arm to accentuate the difference ..

so of the 4 isulators, only the little one was starting to fail .. but it should have had an easier life on the 80hp ...

the info on cracked mounting brackets for the coil bundle is great to have; and a great idea to separate the coil ground wires in case of failure to make an adequate ground ...

the replacement rubber isulator was available locally meaning not at rotax prices

Default Re: install ignition coils Rotax 912uls

This topic has triggered a question in my mind as well. I was messing with my ignition system and when I purchased the aircraft, the coil packs attached to the rubber isolators were in no way grounded - the coils remained isolated from ground due to the rubber isolators. When I pull up the wiring diagram for these coils I notice that there is a wire that comes from the top bolt that retains the CDI boxes and connects to one of the intake manifolds - this would provide ground to the isolated side of these rubber mounts - does everyone else running these old ignition units have their coils grounded or free floating?

ground wire I am mentioning is upper right just below the "1T" box

912UL Iginition.jpg