Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: STi Wing #1 Rib Instructions are Incorrect

Default STi Wing #1 Rib Instructions are Incorrect

Went to mount my fuel tanks on my STi wings. I had notched out my #1 rib to clear the fuel fitting and found that it isn't even close. I think the instructions are for a 7SS rib and not the STi. If you haven't notched yours out you might want to check the placement. First pic is where the instructions say to notch. Second one is where the strainer really is.

G

First Cutout Location.jpgFuel Strainer Location.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Default Re: STi Wing #1 Rib Instructions are Incorrect

Oh dang that’s frustrating! I would also put in the banjo fittings. Both of our planes started leaking and had to change them out. One leaked after 6 months and the other a year and a half later.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

the notch is for your fuel hoses once installed. By cutting that notch out it keeps the hoses from chafing on the webbing material and also removes the uphill bend to clear it.
    S7 STi O-320 currently flying

Yeah I get that's where the hoses are going to exit but that isn't what the instructions say. The instructions say that the notch is there "to allow the brass fitting (G) to rotate." The brass fitting (G) is the elbow that threads into the fuel strainer. Look at the picture of where the fuel strainer shows up in relation to that notch in my post. That elbow and fuel strainer won't be anywhere near that notch. Not trying to throw Kitfox under the bus here. The fix for all this was easy and Brandon was great in his responses when I asked him about it. I simply posted this for those who come behind me and are building their wing using those instructions. We called it NKR in the Navy. Stood for "Not Kwite Right."

GInstructions1.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

I certainly see where the confusion might come in. The expanded view does show the cut out and measurements for that that will accommodate the fuel lines. Looking closer it also has a note and a swooping arrow referencing the "Capstrip" location that will need trimmed out. Your pic shows where you have removed some of the "Web" as is referenced in the diagram but the inside of the Capstrip is not visible, hence the arrow wrapping around to show the location which I perceive as the correct spot. Shoot, I never saw that when I was building. I thought I took it upon myself to cut that capstrip at my own risk. I did the same for the number one rib capstrip when I found I couldn't fold the wing all the way back. Turned out that I missed the instruction to modify that rib exactly as I had done. Needless to say, I was glad to find out I had, in fact, not screwed something up.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Default Re: STi Wing #1 Rib Instructions are Confusing

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    I certainly see where the confusion might come in. The expanded view does show the cut out and measurements for that that will accommodate the fuel lines. Looking closer it also has a note and a swooping arrow referencing the "Capstrip" location that will need trimmed out. Your pic shows where you have removed some of the "Web" as is referenced in the diagram but the inside of the Capstrip is not visible, hence the arrow wrapping around to show the location which I perceive as the correct spot. Shoot, I never saw that when I was building. I thought I took it upon myself to cut that capstrip at my own risk. I did the same for the number one rib capstrip when I found I couldn't fold the wing all the way back. Turned out that I missed the instruction to modify that rib exactly as I had done. Needless to say, I was glad to find out I had, in fact, not screwed something up.
    You're right Eddie. I missed the "swooping arrow" pointing at the next opening forward in the rib which would have been the correct spot. If I look at it that way I guess I would say the note is as you said, "confusing". Think I'll change the title to that. I am going to put in a banjo fitting there so I didn't have to cut into the capstrip to make it fit. I am awaiting parts right now looking at changing the banjo from a barbed fitting to an AN6 and using PFTE hose.
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG