Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Engine Start Pushbutton

Default Engine Start Pushbutton

The engine installation kit from Kitfox for the 912iS includes a "Switch Start Push Button" (p/n 98105.102) and a "Housing Engine Start Switch" (p/n 98237.101). Can someone post a photo showing these parts? I'd like to see what they look like before I order. Thanks!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Default Re: Engine Start Pushbutton

Eric, I don't know anything about the switches from Kitfox but, I found a cool switch on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The reason that I like this one is that there is a ring of light that comes on when you turn on the master switch. The light stays on until you turn the master switch off and then it slowly goes out (my setting). This helps me remember to turn the master switch off because if it is glowing, I know I forgot and if I do get distracted, the glowing switch helps to catch my eye while putting things away. It also has different settings so you can have it light up only when you push the button, come on and then go out when you push the button or, stay on always and go out when the power is cut. They come in black aluminum or polished aluminum housings. You can get these with blue light or red light. I have blue. The only thing I want to show up red is the low fuel sensor light.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

I thought about using something like that, as I have a couple of similar switches in stock, but I'd like to see what Kitfox has sourced before I make a decision. Just not sure if it's a generic, unlabeled pushbutton or a fancy one with "Engine Start" on its face.
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Eric, I don't know anything about the switches from Kitfox but, I found a cool switch on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The switch here looks nice but is rated at 3A. Looking at the 912is installation guide the start switch calls for a 5A switch. In this world of covering your posterior by doubling all the requirements so that nobody comes back and sues you, the 3A is probably workable but might be on the hairy edge. Just saying.

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

I have the Kitfox supplied red push button start switch and the housing ring that holds it onto the instrument panel. A picture of both parts is shown on page 17 of the Kitfox parts catalog on line. It works great but you need both part numbers (the switch and housing). I'd also recommend an arc protection diode mounted on the start solenoid terminals to protect the switch contacts from voltage spikes when the start solenoid is operated. There has been lots of past discussion about these diodes in the history of this forum.
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Quote Originally Posted by Birdseyeview View Post
    I have the Kitfox supplied red push button start switch and the housing ring that holds it onto the instrument panel. A picture of both parts is shown on page 17 of the Kitfox parts catalog on line.
    I saw the pictures in the catalog, but since they're not labeled I wasn't sure what's what. Is this the one we're talking about?

Start_Switch.jpg

I'd also recommend an arc protection diode mounted on the start solenoid terminals to protect the switch contacts from voltage spikes when the start solenoid is operated.
    For sure -- every solenoid/contactor/relay coil gets a flyback diode.

Thanks, Larry!
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

You got the right picture
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS