Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: license question

Default license question

has anyone ever bought and started building a kit before getting their pilots license. i have wanted to build and fly a plane for more than 15 years and am finally financially ready. not sure if this is a good idea or not. also trying to decide between a lsa and a pp license i dont think i need the private pilots license, i cant see myself every wanting to go into towered airspace or flying something bigger. . maybe im wrong and i should get private pilot license first and then order a kit? the whole thing is a little nerve racking lots of time and money, i dream of flying every time i see a plane go over head. gotta do something, time keeps on ticking by i aint getting any younger. any advice from those that have done it would be great thanks willy

Default Re: license question

Yes, I ordered and built a Kitfox SS7 before I had a pilot's certificate. At age 69 I finished building it (took 2+ years) and got the airworthiness certificate. THEN I went to Stick & Rudder in Boise to get my Sport Pilot certificate. Then I did my maiden flight and now, at 77, I have 960 hours in my tailwheel Kitfox (1075 hrs total) and am having the time of my life.
    A Sport Pilot certificate only has the following restrictions:
    - Light Sport aircraft only
    - No night flying, day VFR only
    - No instrument flying
    - Must always have visual reference to the ground
    - Stay clear of clouds 500/1000/2000'
    - Can't fly into Canada (bummer)
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I have the proper endorsements so even as a Sport Pilot I can fly into any towered airspace B, C or D.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

thanks for response, appreciate it willy

Willy,

A few years back we had a teamkitfox list member who built his kitfox first, then received his pilot's certificate in the plane he built.

OK - so that sounds a bit different. You can't receive instruction in an experimental that has not completed phase 1 testing.

More to the story. The person had an acquaintance who was an instructor; and, who was willing to do the phase 1 testing for the builder. After phase 1 was complete, the builder went on to receive instruction from the test pilot/instructor in the plane he built achieving his private pilot certificate in short order.

All depends on your situation, many ways to skin that cat.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I've known several people who have built planes over the years and some never getting a license or flying them, they just love to build. So, It certainly can be done that way.

I would council to go for the PPL if you can afford it. There will be advantages in that the additional training gives you. Usually leads to at least better insurance rates. It also opens options for you to fly other aircraft if you choose later. Renting a Cherokee or 172 to take more than one passenger for a flight is one reason. Maybe you don't see this now, but why restrict your options?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

i kinda wondered how it worked with a new plane it would be nice to use my own to train in, but it doesnt sound like that would work. i am probably going to sign up for ground school in fall and get pp license seems like the easiest way. checked with kitfox they are out to the the 2nd quarter of 2023 on kits, so i have lots of time to get license, just need to send off the 5000 deposit

I found that ground school was more difficult to understand without flight time. After I started actually flying with an instructor the ground school stuff started to “click”. I’m sure everyone is different but you may want to consider going on a few flights with an instructor before starting ground school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

i have flown with my friends in a 150 cessna and they let me fly around, he had me do some stalls, that was pretty fun, i got to land with his help that was a little nerve racking. never flown in a kit fox that would be fun, i think there is one that flys around at our local airport. got a ride in a rv8 or 9 a friend built, fast airplane, not my style. i really enjoy flying just need to jump in.

thanks again for all the input from those that have done it. really appreciated, thanks willy

I started flying lesson two years after starting my Kitfox 5 kit.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)