Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: license question

Default Re: license question

I'm in my PPL training now and am building a Series 7 STi with my dad. My goal is to have at least 100 hours and a TW endorsement by the time we finish the build. We'll also get some instruction from a CFI who owns and flies a Kitfox. It was mentioned above about ground school not 'clicking' until training started, and that was definitely my experience. I watched all of the Sporty's classes online last year but once I started training it all made more sense.

I started TW training in a Talorcraft. Good start although I found my KF3 to be more sensitive on the ground.
    Building a KF IV Classic

i work full time from april to january and part time in winters. i could work couple hours a day 3 or 4 times a week and at least one full day on weekends and in winter probably at least couple full days during the week. would a two year build time be reasonable for a first time builder. i really dont see a need for a full private pilots license but not sure how else to go about it. my airport doesnt have any lsa planes to train in. stick and rudder looks pretty appealing might have to go that direction. lots of planning ahead and everything is booked way out, sounds like in need to get the kit and start building

thanks for input willy

Current rules for sport pilot are LSA only. If any of you buy a Kitfox and put a constant speed prop on it, it's no longer LSA. It's a big world out there. I always recommend a full pilots license unless you have underlying issues that drive you toward LSA.

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Yes, I ordered and built a Kitfox SS7 before I had a pilot's certificate. At age 69 I finished building it (took 2+ years) and got the airworthiness certificate. THEN I went to Stick & Rudder in Boise to get my Sport Pilot certificate. Then I did my maiden flight and now, at 77, I have 960 hours in my tailwheel Kitfox (1075 hrs total) and am having the time of my life.
    A Sport Pilot certificate only has the following restrictions:
    - Light Sport aircraft only
    - No night flying, day VFR only
    - No instrument flying
    - Must always have visual reference to the ground
    - Stay clear of clouds 500/1000/2000'
    - Can't fly into Canada (bummer)

You sir are an inspiration!