Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Model 2 Elevator Weldment Twist

Default Model 2 Elevator Weldment Twist

Hello everyone.

I have noticed on my Model 2 elevator weldment, during a recovering, that it has an offset (or twist) to it. The port side is slightly higher than the starboard side when on a flat surface. I wondered if it is supposed to be there? To reduce a tendency to flutter or counteract a right turning tendency or something like that.

I read online somewhere that the Model IV build manual stated there was a twist in the elevator on purpose and to not straighten it out. However, my Model 2 build manual does not state this.

Anyone have any good info on this?

Thanks!

Travis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Model 2 Elevator Weldment Twist

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbay View Post
    Hello everyone.

I have noticed on my Model 2 elevator weldment, during a recovering, that it has an offset (or twist) to it. The port side is slightly higher than the starboard side when on a flat surface. I wondered if it is supposed to be there? To reduce a tendency to flutter or counteract a right turning tendency or something like that.

I read online somewhere that the Model IV build manual stated there was a twist in the elevator on purpose and to not straighten it out. However, my Model 2 build manual does not state this.

Anyone have any good info on this?

Thanks!

Travis

I don't buy the intentionally built in twist theory, especially for model 4 and older. These airplanes could be powered by a right turning engine, or left turning engine, so any built in twist for one would be wrong for the other. The stab probably had built in twist, but not for any good reason that I can think of. I also have 3 versions of Kitfox 4 manuals, one for the 4-1050 I had, one for the Speedster I currently have, and one for the Kitfox IV Classic, and none of them say anything about stabilizer twist being intentional.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

That is good to know. Thanks for the feedback.

Travis

I would say don't straighten it out just yet. Off the top of my head, I can't quote where it is, but I remember this topic before, and remember that there is a twist in them. Maybe it was on the Avid Flyers, or maybe both, but do some more investigating. The search feature on this website, and the one on AvidFoxFlyers forum are good sources of information. JImChuk

PS. Just did a quick search on one site, and found this. Not conclusive proof, but enough to make me want to check before I would start straightening things...

The elevator also has a twist in it, I think it was to keep it loaded and decrease the potential for flutter. I think that's what I have read some where anyway.

Like this

Well I got curious, I really did think I remembered something about this, and I didn't want to walk out to the hangar to look at the Kitfox and Avid elevators. My Kitfox 4 manual page F-E-1 dated 14 July, 92. Bottom right corner of page. Note: When you inspect your #15027 Elevator Weldment you may notice that the trailing edge of on side is about 1/2" higher then the other side. It is built this way so there will always be an air load on the elevator and it will not be "blanketed out" by the Horizontal Stabilizer. DO NOT 'STRAIGHTEN' THE WELDMENT. JImChuk

Thanks Jim! Good to hear it is indeed in a Model 4 manual. 1/2” is about what mine is twisted. I am thinking they likely built them with a twist, but didn’t put a note about it in the early model manuals. People started discovering this and asked about it and/or straightened them. That prompted them to put a note in the manual. I am guessing but it makes sense. I am pretty sure I am going to leave it alone.

I also noticed you are not far from me. I live in Fort Frances across the river from IFalls. Did my licence in the Falls too. I have played bagpipes in lots of 3rd/4th of July parades along the Iron Range near you.

Thanks for the information and help.

Travis

My mistake. You clearly said elevator but I for some reason thought stabilizer.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Ya, 100 miles away... and with all the restrictions, much further. JImChuk