Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox Registration

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Kitfox Registration

I'm a licensed Light Sport Pilot and I plan to certify my Kitfox 6 as an LSA so I can legally fly it. I'm close to sending in my registration paperwork, including the following forms:

8050-1 Aircraft Registration Application
    8050-2 Kit Bill of Sale, along with a conveyance description of previous kit owners and their 8050-2 forms
    8050-88 Affidavit of Ownership (notarized)

None of these registration forms say anything about LSA and I'm assuming that gets addressed later when I submit the 8130-6 Application for Airworthiness Certificate. I bought and studied the EAA's Amateur Built Certification Kit documents describing the whole registration and certification process but I'm still confused on a couple of terminology points. I'm hoping answers to my following questions will eliminate the confusion I'm all wrapped up in.

1) Is EAB just an umbrella term for any homebuilt including an LSA?
    2) Is there a gross weight limit on an EAB?
    3) I know the kitfox 6 was designed with a 1550 lb gross weight limit. If I was to certify it to that limit what would it be called? and could I still fly it as a Light Sport Pilot with some limitation on gross weight?
    4) What then is an ELSA and is that the designation that I should certify to that has a 1320 lb gross weight limit?

It's probably not as complicated as I've get it in my head to be but can someone please help straighten me out? Thanks
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Default Re: Kitfox Registration

As a sport pilot you can fly any airplane that fits the definition of a LSA. it really doesn't matter if it is a LSA, Experimental, normal category, etc. All that matters is that it fits the definition.

Edit: IMO it is best to simply certify the airplane as an amateur-built. For a Kitfox the only thing that would disqualify it from LSA is the gross weight. When you have your paperwork ready for the DAR, make sure it shows 1320 max gross, although I don't believe this will go to Oklahoma City. Also once flying in phase one don't put it in the logs that it has a gross over 1320, and you are fine. This way, if you ever get your private, or you ever sell it, the gross can be increased by simply re-entering phase 1 and testing it at higher weights.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

John, Wow - this is very interesting - so you're saying that the gross weight that I determine during the phase 1 testing will become the basis of my airplane's limitations only. As such and in my case, the gross weight will have nothing to do with the aircraft's design capabilities (1550 lbs) but instead will be limited by my light sport license limitation (1320 lbs). This strikes me as a little strange and now I know why I was confused by all this earlier, but who am I to question the authorities that came up with this rule. I can only hope that the future rule changes on light sport aircraft and the associated light sport pilot restrictions will allow for a higher gross weight so that I can take full advantage of the Kitfox's true design limit. I would also hope and assume that when that happens there will be a straight forward legal pathway for me to update my gross weight limitation. Thanks for opening my eyes to all this.
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Quote Originally Posted by Birdseyeview View Post
    John, Wow - this is very interesting - so you're saying that the gross weight that I determine during the phase 1 testing will become the basis of my airplane's limitations only. As such and in my case, the gross weight will have nothing to do with the aircraft's design capabilities (1550 lbs) but instead will be limited by my light sport license limitation (1320 lbs). This strikes me as a little strange and now I know why I was confused by all this earlier, but who am I to question the authorities that came up with this rule. I can only hope that the future rule changes on light sport aircraft and the associated light sport pilot restrictions will allow for a higher gross weight so that I can take full advantage of the Kitfox's true design limit. I would also hope and assume that when that happens there will be a straight forward legal pathway for me to update my gross weight limitation. Thanks for opening my eyes to all this.
    Yes. This is why you can use a Kitfox whose design capabilities would allow flying at 1550 lb for light sport, but see below. So, you build it, fly the phase 1 tests up to 1320, record 1320 as the maximum weight tested during phase 1, that becomes the maximum gross weight that you can fly that particular airplane at. It is legal for LSA. Then lets say that later on you do get your private pilot certificate, or they raise the LSA weight limit and you would like to use the extra capability of the airplane. You simply notify your FSDO about what you want to do, they will have you re-enter phase 1 flight testing, you test it up to the new gross weight you want and voila... you now have a higher gross weight. The notification and approval to re-enter phase 1 can and probably will be by phone and e-mail. Simple. Also, depending on how you interpret your operating limitations, it might not even require notifying FAA. They have changed the standard wording on Op Lims many times over the years. I know that for my Sonerai, I can basically do anything and re-enter phase 1 on my own because it was finished at a time when the op lims were very lenient. Nowadays, the op lims are a bit more stringent, but I still don't this would require notification since no actual changes to the airplane are made. Simply make a log entry saying re-entering phase 1 to verify flight performance at increased weight, do the testing and make another entry when done.

Be aware though that once you go above 1320 you don't get to come back down. This is why folks buying an already built airplane need to be careful about what the tested gross weight was. For example, the original builder sets the gross weight of his Series 7 at 1550. A new buyer can't just make a log entry saying the gross weight is limited to 1320 and fly it as an lsa. It had already gone over, so can't come back down.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdseyeview View Post
    I'm a licensed Light Sport Pilot and I plan to certify my Kitfox 6 as an LSA so I can legally fly it. I'm close to sending in my registration paperwork, including the following forms:

8050-1 Aircraft Registration Application
    8050-2 Kit Bill of Sale, along with a conveyance description of previous kit owners and their 8050-2 forms
    8050-88 Affidavit of Ownership (notarized)

None of these registration forms say anything about LSA and I'm assuming that gets addressed later when I submit the 8130-6 Application for Airworthiness Certificate. I bought and studied the EAA's Amateur Built Certification Kit documents describing the whole registration and certification process but I'm still confused on a couple of terminology points. I'm hoping answers to my following questions will eliminate the confusion I'm all wrapped up in.

1) Is EAB just an umbrella term for any homebuilt including an LSA?
    2) Is there a gross weight limit on an EAB?
    3) I know the kitfox 6 was designed with a 1550 lb gross weight limit. If I was to certify it to that limit what would it be called? and could I still fly it as a Light Sport Pilot with some limitation on gross weight?
    4) What then is an ELSA and is that the designation that I should certify to that has a 1320 lb gross weight limit?

It's probably not as complicated as I've get it in my head to be but can someone please help straighten me out? Thanks
    I just registered mine, turn around is about 3 days if you get it correct the first time. Very surprised honestly.
    S7 STi O-320 currently flying

Larry, you and I both will be submitting Phase 1 paperwork to increase to the 1550#. It will be easy.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

(14) Light Sport Aircraft, Experimental Aircraft, EAB, LSA, ELSA - Explained. - YouTube

Long story short, if your building a custom airplane of your own design (meaning you are not just building a replica of the manufacturers SLSA as Kitfox offers) You are building a EAB. Keep it under 1320 lbs and you are legal to fly it as a Sport Pilot. Obviously that is not the only restriction. Watch the first 7 min of this video and you will understand.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Am I correct in my understanding that this is all done online now? or do you still send in the paperwork? Watched an EAA webinar and got the impression it was done online on a new registration portal. I did set up an account there.

Rick

Registration is still via paperwork with ink signature and notary. AWC is all online now. Once registered your info and N number populate under your account. Pretty slick.
    S7 STi O-320 currently flying

Thanks for clarification. Had a senior moment and got registering and AWC mixed up.

Rick