Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox Registration

Default Kitfox Registration

I'm a licensed Light Sport Pilot and I plan to certify my Kitfox 6 as an LSA so I can legally fly it. I'm close to sending in my registration paperwork, including the following forms:

8050-1 Aircraft Registration Application
    8050-2 Kit Bill of Sale, along with a conveyance description of previous kit owners and their 8050-2 forms
    8050-88 Affidavit of Ownership (notarized)

None of these registration forms say anything about LSA and I'm assuming that gets addressed later when I submit the 8130-6 Application for Airworthiness Certificate. I bought and studied the EAA's Amateur Built Certification Kit documents describing the whole registration and certification process but I'm still confused on a couple of terminology points. I'm hoping answers to my following questions will eliminate the confusion I'm all wrapped up in.

1) Is EAB just an umbrella term for any homebuilt including an LSA?
    2) Is there a gross weight limit on an EAB?
    3) I know the kitfox 6 was designed with a 1550 lb gross weight limit. If I was to certify it to that limit what would it be called? and could I still fly it as a Light Sport Pilot with some limitation on gross weight?
    4) What then is an ELSA and is that the designation that I should certify to that has a 1320 lb gross weight limit?

It's probably not as complicated as I've get it in my head to be but can someone please help straighten me out? Thanks
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Default Re: Kitfox Registration

As a sport pilot you can fly any airplane that fits the definition of a LSA. it really doesn't matter if it is a LSA, Experimental, normal category, etc. All that matters is that it fits the definition.

Edit: IMO it is best to simply certify the airplane as an amateur-built. For a Kitfox the only thing that would disqualify it from LSA is the gross weight. When you have your paperwork ready for the DAR, make sure it shows 1320 max gross, although I don't believe this will go to Oklahoma City. Also once flying in phase one don't put it in the logs that it has a gross over 1320, and you are fine. This way, if you ever get your private, or you ever sell it, the gross can be increased by simply re-entering phase 1 and testing it at higher weights.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdseyeview View Post
    I'm a licensed Light Sport Pilot and I plan to certify my Kitfox 6 as an LSA so I can legally fly it. I'm close to sending in my registration paperwork, including the following forms:

8050-1 Aircraft Registration Application
    8050-2 Kit Bill of Sale, along with a conveyance description of previous kit owners and their 8050-2 forms
    8050-88 Affidavit of Ownership (notarized)

None of these registration forms say anything about LSA and I'm assuming that gets addressed later when I submit the 8130-6 Application for Airworthiness Certificate. I bought and studied the EAA's Amateur Built Certification Kit documents describing the whole registration and certification process but I'm still confused on a couple of terminology points. I'm hoping answers to my following questions will eliminate the confusion I'm all wrapped up in.

3) I know the kitfox 6 was designed with a 1550 lb gross weight limit. If I was to certify it to that limit what would it be called? and could I still fly it as a Light Sport Pilot with some limitation on gross weight?
    4) What then is an ELSA and is that the designation that I should certify to that has a 1320 lb gross weight limit?

It's probably not as complicated as I've get it in my head to be but can someone please help straighten me out? Thanks
    I just registered mine, turn around is about 3 days if you get it correct the first time. Very surprised honestly.
    S7 STi O-320 currently flying

(14) Light Sport Aircraft, Experimental Aircraft, EAB, LSA, ELSA - Explained. - YouTube

Long story short, if your building a custom airplane of your own design (meaning you are not just building a replica of the manufacturers SLSA as Kitfox offers) You are building a EAB. Keep it under 1320 lbs and you are legal to fly it as a Sport Pilot. Obviously that is not the only restriction. Watch the first 7 min of this video and you will understand.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Am I correct in my understanding that this is all done online now? or do you still send in the paperwork? Watched an EAA webinar and got the impression it was done online on a new registration portal. I did set up an account there.

Rick

Registration is still via paperwork with ink signature and notary. AWC is all online now. Once registered your info and N number populate under your account. Pretty slick.
    S7 STi O-320 currently flying

Thanks for clarification. Had a senior moment and got registering and AWC mixed up.

Rick

Eddie and others, Thanks for your info. The video you pointed out, along with the other comments, was all very helpful.
    Larry Olson
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Quote Originally Posted by Birdseyeview View Post
    1. Yes, E-AB covers virtually all homebuilts, including any that meet the LSA definition.

2. No, but anything over 12,500# MGTOW would require a type rating for the pilot. I've never heard of this happening. Anyone else?

3. It would be called an Experimental-Amateur Built. If it's certified at 1,550#, it would not meet the LSA definition and couldn't be flown by a Sport Pilot. If it's certified at 1,320# or less, and it meets the rest of the LSA definition, then a Sport Pilot could fly it.

4. A Special-Light Sport Aircraft (S-LSA) is a plane that's factory built, must be maintained as directed by the manufacturer and can't be modified without permission from the manufacturer. An Experimental-Light Sport Aircraft (E-LSA) is the kit version of an S-LSA and does not have the same maintenance and modification restrictions. The owner of an E-LSA can maintain and inspect the plane after taking a 16-hour Light Sport Repairman Inspection Course. I believe that an S-LSA can be converted to E-LSA, but don't quote me on it. Your Kitfox will be certified as an E-AB, and if you want to fly it as a Sport Pilot, set the MGTOW at 1,320#. As the builder, you can apply for the repairman certificate for your aircraft with no additional training required, which will allow you to sign logbook entries for the annual condition inspection.

If you follow 109JB's advice above, you'll be able to increase the MGTOW in the future if you upgrade your license or if the FAA increases the LSA weight limit, as is expected.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Eric,

Thanks - very informative
    Larry Olson
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS