Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Introduction and an idea

Default Introduction and an idea

Hi,

Lurked here on and off and finally registered.

About me - mid 40's, 2 kids, live in metro Chicago, Engineer, built/flew/sold an RV about 15 years ago (did not build with the thought of selling but kids came along and there just wasn't a place in life for it at the time). Also have ~150 hours in a Kitfox model 2 years ago. Greatly enjoyed building the RV. Still absolutely have the aviation bug but not yet ready to commit $80k+ to a Kitfox or Highlander, but that's the sort of airplane I want. After kids leave the house, maybe as soon as 5 years from now, we will permanently move the the UP of Michigan where family is from and we have a place on a lake. Floats therefore 100%.

My wife says I need a project to be doing something, but again not ready for the financial commitment of another airplane yet.

Here's my maybe crazy thought, or maybe not??? In my endless research, YouTube watching, etc, and knowing how popular Kitfox, Highlanders, etc are, does anyone have any idea what a finished set of Zenair floats might go for? Looking at 1450 amphibs the basic kit is $6990, predrilled $3000 more and no longer available completed at $14990. I guess my question is in order to get myself a project in aviation and maybe slowly build an aviation nest egg what if I got a set of 1450 amphibs, or straight but I would want amphibs, to build with the purpose of selling them. Until I actually did the work and had full cost in no idea if I would try and get a full $15k but basically as long as I got something out and didn't lose money then it might be worth a try and give me a project to work on. Not looking for a career change making floats, but if there was a little bit of a market and I enjoyed building them maybe if that turned into many sets then the cost differential might start closing in on my comfort level of making the jump to starting on another airplane. Ridiculous dream or maybe possible?

Thanks, I look forward to one of these days starting a kit even if the float idea isn't realistic. But if so, maybe that time would just come a little sooner.

Default Re: Introduction and an idea

Welcome aboard! I would recommend you reach out to Joe Ruscito. He is currently building those exact floats for his newly built 7, and he could definitely offer you some insight about that undertaking. If I recall correctly, he told me that he wished he had spent the extra for the pre-drilled kit, as they are a ton of work.

Mark
    Building
    Kitfox 7STi
    Oratex