Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Tundra Lite Tailwheel

Default Tundra Lite Tailwheel

Does anybody has experience with Tundra Lite Tailwheel configuration https://tundratailwheel.com/ either 8 or 10 inch configuration
    4A08A035-9E70-42DA-ABFE-913D311CD8BC.jpg
    Thomas, Switzerland
    KITFOX IV Speedster sold
    KITFOX S7SS flying
    www.flykitfox.net

Default Re: Tundra Lite Tailwheel

Yes Cory and I both run them. They are awesome and I highly recommend them. 8” on t3 is what we are running. We have the locking version but never lock it.
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 04-18-2021 at 05:29 AM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Wonder what the weight difference is between the 8", 10" and the baby bush.

Out of curiosity, wondering about the weight of these wheels also. Not much info on website. What kind of tire & wheel do they use on the 8" unit? Pneumatic? Custom aluminum wheel, or same as the ABW or Scott 3200? How wide is the 8" version?
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

The Tundra Lite website says the 8” version with a stinger socket for a Just SuperSTOL weighs 5# 14oz. I don’t imagine the leaf spring version would be more than a few ounces different; possibly less since the stinger socket is steel. The site also has a photo of a leaf spring version (presumably the 10”) on a scale showing 7# 1-1/8oz.

The text describes the 8” tire as “tubeless,” and a couple of the photos show a Schrader valve stem. The wheels look custom turned to me. Definitely not like any of the three tail wheels in my possession.

There’s an exploded diagram of the Baby Bush Wheel on page 2 of the installation instructions on Airframes Alaska’s website. Below that diagram it says, “ABI-3200B Complete Assembly weight: 12lbs.” That’s an 11” tire.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

I am using the Tundra Lite 10" on a T3. Works very well and would not change it for any other configuration.

I do use the locking mechanism. With the tailwheel locked, you can still make small steering corrections.
    Great when you have to taxi a ways to get to a runway. Also great in a crosswind. Saves the brakes.

Also fun to put in one notch of flaps, lock the tailwheel and hold the stick back. Seems like the airplane
    just floats up in the air.

Regards
    Rodney

We run the 8” and love it. In regards to what tire Jim told us it’s off a lawn mower of some type. They are tubeless but wide for float on sand. Rim is a two piece so you split the rim when you replace the tire. Very light setup. When building we cut off the spring attach points on the tail so it cleaned up the look of the tail and lost more weight. It’s full floating so you lose the weights of the springs also.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Check out Trent Palmer latest video he talks about the T3 and his brother going to use a TK-1 its much cheaper and he says stronger. TK1racing.com
    Kenz
    Kitfox V Safari
    GRT Sport 10.1
    Lycoming O-320 -160 hp