Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fueling Equipment

Default Fueling Equipment

I try to run mostly Mogas in my 912uls, but there is only one airport in Oregon that has it, so most of the time I have to get my 92 Clear Mogas from auto service stations, which are not hard to find. I have been using 5 gal cans, but its been kind of a pain to pour in 2-4 cans to fill up. I recently purchased the Wurx fuel transfer sytem, which consists of a 20 gal plastic tank and an electric pump with hose and fuel nozzle with on-off lever. Works like a charm; I fill up the Wurx tank at a service station, then at the airport I slide the tank from my pickup onto a roll-around cart and roll it to the airplane, plug the pump into a long extension cord, turn it on and dispense fuel into my airplane tanks.
    20210220_130350.jpg20210220_131858.jpg
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default Re: Fueling Equipment

That looks like a good unit. It looks like you have carpet in your pick up bed so I would be a bit concerned sliding that plastic across the carpet and static building up and have a very unpleasant day. I have seen folks using a grounding wire in a like situation, just a thought.

How long does it take that unit to pump 20 gal?
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

I don't remember if I already posted about this sometime in the past, but about 3 years ago I decided to have a tank made to mount in the bed of my pickup. I made a drawing of exactly what I wanted and had a company in Florida build it for me. They make them to DOT standards so it's safe and legal on the road. It holds about 40 gallons. It's not connected to the trucks fuel system, but I can transfer fuel to the truck or whatever, if I want or need to. The ethanol-free premium gas is not quite as available around here as it probably is where you live Jim, but I can get it, and that's what I use too. I have a fancy pump, hoses, nozzle and fuel gallon meter, but ended up not using them... it's a hassle to get it all out and set-up, then take apart & drain after using. I got a neat little pump called a GasTapper that I can plug into the cigarette lighter port. It's extremely handy for draining gas from tanks also if you need to. It's relatively slow compared to the other pump - it pumps & filters about a gallon/minute, but it's extremely convenient and versatile.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    How long does it take that unit to pump 20 gal?
    The pump puts out 4.5 gpm so you do the math. It pumps at about the same rate as pouring from a 5 gal can.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I also thought about an in-bed mounted tank, but I like a canopy over my pickup bed and the forward mounted tank does not work well with that. This Wurx setup is completely portable and moves easily in and out of the truck. I also was leery about a truck mounted setup because I didn't want to frequently maneuver my truck close to the airplane for obvious reasons; I guess a real long hose might have mitigated this problem.
    This Wurx setup, pump plus 20 gal container is only $240, and you can buy extra 20 gal containers for $110 each and they are stackable. Maybe I'm sounding like a dealer for them, which I am not, but it's working well for me and I thought others might be interested.
    I always filter Mogas thru a large funnel/filter (you can see it in one of the photos) before it goes in the plane. I am looking into locating an inline filter I can install on the pump to make it even more convenient.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Looks good and is more reasonably priced than some other options out there.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I also thought about an in-bed mounted tank, but I like a canopy over my pickup bed and the forward mounted tank does not work well with that. ...

Yes, wouldn't work very well with a canopy. You can see in the pictures I have a bed cover. I can open up just the forward section to fully expose the tank, or I can open up the cover from the rear to expose the rest of the bed and leave the tank covered. I've got a full-size bed, so still have a lot of usable bed space.

Your setup looks great, Jim! A lot less expensive than what I did also.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I try to run mostly Mogas in my 912uls, but there is only one airport in Oregon that has it, so most of the time I have to get my 92 Clear Mogas from auto service stations, which are not hard to find. I have been using 5 gal cans, but its been kind of a pain to pour in 2-4 cans to fill up. I recently purchased the Wurx fuel transfer sytem, which consists of a 20 gal plastic tank and an electric pump with hose and fuel nozzle with on-off lever. Works like a charm; I fill up the Wurx tank at a service station, then at the airport I slide the tank from my pickup onto a roll-around cart and roll it to the airplane, plug the pump into a long extension cord, turn it on and dispense fuel into my airplane tanks.
    20210220_130350.jpg20210220_131858.jpg
    I LIKE this setup!

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Jim,
    Is the pump 12V dc or 110/120V ac, or both?

Seems like you mentioned a long extension cord.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW