Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Strobe LED replacement bulb

Default Strobe LED replacement bulb

I've got a Whelen model A600 wing tip Nav/Strobe light on each wing and they works great but I broke one of the incandescent Nav light bulbs and was shocked at the certified replacement cost from ACS. I did find some non-certified replacement LED bulbs for the Nav lights from Aero-lite.com that consume significantly less current (300 milliamps vs 2 amps) and are significantly cheaper ($28 each vs $90 each) to replace than the certified incandescents (and they seem brighter than the incandescents). Although the remaining incandescent strobe bulb still works fine I'd love to replace it with an LED also and eliminate the 2 lb strobe power supply that's mounted behind the pilots seat in the process. I'm not looking to replace the entire fixture with a new LED only model (too expensive). Does anyone know of a direct replacement LED strobe bulb that fits the Whelen A600 light fixture?

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 7.09.25 PM.jpg
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Default Re: Strobe LED replacement bulb

I know you said you didn't want to replace the whole thing, but you might want to consider the Kuntzleman package. Does everything the Whelen does and is all LED at a total cost of $389 including wiring. Very lightweight, very bright, and programmable flash patterns. I'm putting them in my 4 rebuild to replace Whelen

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...clickkey=33022
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)