Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will I Fit?

Default Will I Fit?

Hi,
    I am 6'4" tall (but skinny); my body proportions are 33 inch inseam, and 34 inches from bum-to-head. Will I fit in the Kitfox series 7?

Thanks,
    Bruce

Default Re: Will I Fit?

Hello Bruce
    The pic I put on my post #875 may help.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Hi. Post #875 doesn't come up under a general search, or an advanced search with your name. Can you repost the pictures, or post a link? Thanks.

Check his build thread:
    https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/threads/7470-EFWD-Build
    and page forward a bunch of times
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

The headroom looks pretty good, but that seating position looks awkward. With the knees that high, you would have to bend your ankles back quite far to get your feet on the pedals, and there is no thigh support for your legs. Has anyone ever modified the pedals to get them further away from the seat, or modified the seating bracket to move further aft?

Someone with more flying experience in Kitfoxes than my 0.0 hours will have to address seating comfort and ankle angle. The seat position is not adjustable without major fuselage surgery; the seat pan sits on welded tubes. Adjustable rudder pedals are an option, but if you're tall there's not much point except as a nod to resale.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

There's got to be someone reasonably close by with a Kitfox. It might be best for you to actually sit in one. Most people as tall as you have been okay sitting in the Kitfox 5-7.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Brucester View Post
    The headroom looks pretty good, but that seating position looks awkward. With the knees that high, you would have to bend your ankles back quite far to get your feet on the pedals, and there is no thigh support for your legs. Has anyone ever modified the pedals to get them further away from the seat, or modified the seating bracket to move further aft?
    I'm 6'2" and not skinny. I have also wondered about comfort so I was glad to put not quite 8 hours in a Kitfox recently. I have zero complaints about comfort, the pedals were not awkward at all and I don't recall my thighs not being supported. I'm going to be careful not to purchase seat cushions that are any thicker than the factory offering and that's about it.

As for your last question I think that is a big no on both parts. The seat pan attaches to fuselage cross tubes which are structural and not practical to move. The rudder pedals almost hit the firewall right now, and that is with relief designed into the firewall.

I think even at 6'4" you're going to be fine, but as suggested by others you should find one within driving distance and sit in it. Getting in and out is a bit awkward at first but that is true of everything from the C150 to the Citabria, and you get it down after a few tries.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

I live in the Vancouver, B.C., Canada area. Does anyone know someone with a Kitfox that I could call?